Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Project: Pawned!

Default Re: Project: Pawned!

Really nice metal work, Wag!

Dang, I need to come here more often....

So great to see people still modding. :p
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

Wow! I'm honored to be featured on the front page! Thanks everyone for their interest and I'll try to deliver the goods. Hopefully I won't disappoint!

I did manage to squeeze some time in today to work on the case so I've got something of an update to share. It probably won't seem like much, but it was rather tedious work of measuring, drilling, assembling, disassembling, more measuring, drilling, assembling, disassembling, measuring... well.... you get the idea...

I has finished cutting holes in my Plexiglas front but needed to match those holes up with my aluminum spacers to accommodate the front of the case. As I said, some measuring and drilling was in order which finally yielded this result.

Then I proceeded to assemble the front to verify that everythign was cut correctly and ready to fit. I'll be using stove bolts around the front.

Then pieced together the aluminum bracket behind it. This will basically be the front of the case. It will need some more holes for fans, switches, and drives. It will also be sanded, primed, and painted white. That will come later.

To attach the Front of the case to the front of the chassis meant a quick disassemble as well as drilling out the rivets of the front chassis panel.

This was required so I would be able to fit the piece under the drill press. I had hoped to avoid it but was left with no choice as the entire case simply would not fit. To attache the front to the chassis I would need to drill 16 holes in the panel. Accuracy was paramount as the holes in the sides would be tapped so the screws may tighten directly into the panel itself. The top and bottom will allow for bolts to tighten from the back.

Afterward, I was finally able to assemble to the point where I could get a hint of what the case may look like. Sorry I have no pictures of the drilling. Rest assured it was just as tedious as it sounds.

The exciting part is now I have some pictures of the case mocked-up. It is finally starting to come together.

That was a big hurdle. Hopefully the rest goes smoothly.

Alas, that's all I have today. Thanks again to TBCS for their recognition, and thanks to everyone for their interest. It is truly and honor and I am humbled.

Until next time

Wag

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

lookin awesome!

Fresh Paint

Sweet mod so far, man! I think my favorite part of this mod is the mesh. Any plans on painting it? (the mesh)...Maybe a funky green metal flake could make this "pop", unless you are looking more towards a sleek design....But awesome job so far! Far better than anything I am capable of...
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockTheBox View Post
    I love your work.. can your computer and my computer make babies.. .. this is just awe inspiring .. I want one for my room.. just so people are like whats that? and I can say its god..

Great progress. Really loooking good.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

love it!.. that pic with the drill and all the red lines made me laugh.. looks great man good work
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

Quote Originally Posted by el_magnifico View Post
    Any plans on painting it? (the mesh)
    The paint plan is going to be very simple. Black and white like a chessboard. It will include some red lighting as well for accent. The case itself will be white where the acrylic sides and top will be backed with black vinyl. The space between the plexiglass front and rest of the chassis will be painted black. The plexiglass front will be painted white. The Chassis will be painted black.

So... lots of black and white. Hopefully it will be an attractive contrast. We shall see.

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

sounds like my type of colour plan
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Awesome work so far Wag, I really like mods where an old generic case gets a big make over into something great, these kind of mods always tempt me to get on the lookout for a cheap old case on ebay but always find the shipping to be far more than the case making it not such a good deal lol .

Steel is a git to cut with dremel, nasty dust, sparks and using many many discs lol, nice relief when done thou , great dremel work too , dremel work always impresses me more than effortless laser, it just has a more human touch about it which I like.

The switches are worth every penny, I always go for those type, yes they're a bit expensive but they do feel like great quality when pressed and look great too

Snow half way up your door, wow .

+ rep and subscribed, missed this one until I went to the front page .

Love it. Still. Been awhile since I been able to check the progress on my favorite mods. Comp's been outta commission for awhile whilst I injected her full of water. ^_^ First time water cooling a system... Must say... I need a bigger case. >_<

On topic:

Grats on the front page! Might be a little late, but still. =D Love the top of the case. And the plexi on the front is something I was toying with. Many kudos. ^_^
    "Don't imitate the world; Create your own."