Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: What does TBCS drive?

Default Re: What does TBCS drive?

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFlash View Post
    I used to have a 87 crx. loved that little guy to death.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

WWMD- What Would MacGyver Do? Mark_Hardware's Avatar

So I though I would contribute my ride, since I had to work on it today.... It's an 89 Lebaron, and it's seen better days...

If you notice the red strap around the bumper, that's what holds my hood closed.

Ah the engine bay. If you can't tell, the foreward firewll is pushed back, and the radiator almost touches the engine.

One beat up interior. See the hole were my stereo used to be till some chickenhead relieved me of the one nice thing my car had to offer.

As I said, I had to work on it today. Here is why.

It broke yesterday while Iwas driving, making it impossible to ignore any longer.

For those of you unfamiliar with things automotive, here is what a brake rotor is supposed to look like;

The little scrap of metal above the old rotor is what is left of one of the brake pads.

So there we go, there's my ride, in all it's white trash glory. No stereo, no AC, for some reason my odometer doesn't work, so it will have 129,867 miles on it forever, uses about a quart of transmission fluid a week, cracked windshield, bent frame, bent rear torsion arm.... The list goes on....
    My name is Mark Hardware, and I approved this message.

Project; Mark1
    (On hold until......)

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

What happened to your rotor? I've never seen that before.
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

It took me a minute, but those are the fins that are normally *between* the plates on the rotor. One side of the rotor is completely worn off. I've been in the mechanical industry for a lot of years, but that's a first. Wow.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Depends on what I'm doing for the time being. I drive a 2006 Honda Civic around town and down the coast and back. Love good gas mileage.

For other purposes, I drive a 1997 Ford F350 with a 7.3 liter V8 turbodiesel built by International. Gets decent gas mileage when driven right. Takes 15.4 quarts of oil.

Coffee is love, coffee is life.

Quote Originally Posted by luciusad2004 View Post
    He probably ran it too long with either very abrasive break pads, or worn out break pads. Sub-par metal in rotors and extra corrosive anti-ice agents used in states like Minnesota, Colorado and Utah will do this as well. My rotors were not as bad last fall when I had to replace them as too much of the wear surface was corroded and flaking off. Out of something like 2 inches of width for the wear surface only .5 inches were left to wear on. This was on rotors that were in near perfect condition the previous year.
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    Depends on what I'm doing for the time being. I drive a 2006 Honda Civic around town and down the coast and back. Love good gas mileage.

For other purposes, I drive a 1997 Ford F350 with a 7.3 liter V8 turbodiesel built by International. Gets decent gas mileage when driven right. Takes 15.4 quarts of oil.

[IG]http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/vashthstampede98/DCP_0222.jpg[/IMG]

[IG]http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/vashthstampede98/DCP_0221.jpg[/IMG]
    That is a nice truck you got there! Whats the Odometer got on it? Any mods?

My dodge has about 224,000 miles on it. It is getting about 17MPG with the worn converter that is in it. Was getting 21MPG before. That is with my lead foot though. Got 400HP Marine injectors, upgraded fuel system, upgraded impeller (Makes about 30psi), open pipe, and the normal boost/EGT gauges. Runs good. I need to get a new lower stall converter, and a shift kit. About 450hp 700ft-lb.
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

WWMD- What Would MacGyver Do? Mark_Hardware's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luciusad2004 View Post
    yeah thats what happens when you run for a long time with no brake pad left on there, just metal. I can't believe I actually broke the rotor in two, I've never heard of that before lol
    My name is Mark Hardware, and I approved this message.

Project; Mark1
    (On hold until......)

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

I have a rotor like that hanging in my garage. When I was in highschool I took Auto mechanics and changed out this ladys brakes one day and one of her rotors looked like that. She had not changed her brakes in 45k miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneslowz28 View Post
    She had not changed her brakes in 45k miles.
    Mileage matters much less then how you abuse the pedal. Last month I changed out the original brake pads on my 1997 Ford F-150 with just over 70K Miles. My rotors did have a little scoring on them but not bad enough they couldn't be turned. Fortunately for me, a buddy of mine works for an auto parts distributor, so I called him about the brake pads. He looked up the rotors as well, and they were 35 bucks each. Since it was going to cost around 15-20 to have them turned, I figured I might as well swap them out as well and go for another 70K .