Thread: My rant for this month.. Asteroid hitting the earth renderings

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Default My rant for this month.. Asteroid hitting the earth renderings

Ok so I am watching the show on PBS called 400 years of the Telescope. They just showed a rendering of an asteroid hitting the earth. Upon impact into the pacific ocean it showed the earth beginning to incinerate. The other week on Nova they had a similar animation. I also remember several other shows on various "knowledge" networks where they showed the earth getting hit by an asteroid and the resulting earth incineration immediately following.

My rant starts here: Every one of these shows spoke of how off Hollywood's take on this. I just think its odd that if an asteroid were to hit the earth in the center of any large ocean that it would generate enough heat to flash boil the entire ocean and allow the underlying earth to incinerate. I mean if these scientist want to promote the truth then why render an animation where something that is physically impossible and pass it off as the truth?

Default Re: My rant for this month.. Asteroid hitting the earth renderings

I mean if these scientist want to promote the truth then why render an animation where something that is physically impossible and pass it off as the truth?
    Honest answer? Most scientists work in facts, figures, and graphs. Animations like that are made when they need to explain something to non-scientists. They pull viewers in on TV shows and have a greater impact on the target audience.

Effectively, it's the 'rule of cool'. Factual graph vs. cool animation of the earth being blasted? It's pretty clear what will win in a TV show. It's just important to keep that in mind. Everyone has an agenda; for 'educational' TV shows, it's to make money.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

I understand that. Its just when I see things like that I get a little perturbed.

The short answer:
    Theoretically, if a sufficiently large asteroid collided with an ocean, in particular the Pacific, the impact could cause a quite massive release of methane, which could cause quite a violent explosion.

The slightly longer answer:
    There are massive amounts of methane trapped at the ocean floor in a hydrate form. Recently, several companies are trying to commercially recover the methane trapped in this state as it is "abundant" below a certain depth. Supposedly, it is quite sensitive to external disturbances and will break down quite easily, releasing the methane. If the impact can cause water to boil, it could be able to cause the released methane to combust.
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Quote Originally Posted by DrumThumper View Post
    Talk about entry and exit .
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

I think that in most cases they are referring to the fact that the heat blast from the collision could be enough to actually ignite the atmosphere. At that point it would be hot enough to pretty much incinerate everything in its path.

In all seriousness though, Dave pretty much answered it straight on.
    RIP Bucko

Quote Originally Posted by DrumThumper View Post
    That's what happens to me when I eat Taco Bell for lunch or A sausage biscuit from McDonald's for breakfast.