Thread: Advice on filler

Fresh Paint

Default Advice on filler

First off im new to modding, but am a sheetmetal worker by trade. Im going to be making a cowl in the mobo side of my case. I will be using sheet aluminum and going to be riveting the cowl into the side panel.

I need to know what type of filler i will need to smooth it out and what the process of applying it is. Thanks guys

I also need advice on the best water cooling kit i can get for $250. I'd like it to cool 1 cpu(socket 939), vga(7800 series), and chipset(asus SLI board). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Default Re: Advice on filler

Stilz,
    Are you going to be painting the area that you want to fill after the filler is in place?

If so your best bet is Bondo. To use it mix the cream and hardener per the can's instructions, then lay it down in thin (1/16"-1/8" MAX) layers. Go from the thick areas to the thin (in your case...from the inside out), you want to feather it so the transition is smooth. Build the bondo up just a bit higher than it needs to be then use a sanding block and sand paper (sanding screen also works well on bondo...as it doesn't clog up as fast) to smooth and level everything out after the bondo has setup (but before it hardens fully..again refer to the can for guidelines). Then Primer and paint as normal (there are some great threads on this here!...If you need help with it ask...we'll point you to them!!)

Good luck,
    Crazybillybob

Need more info? Ask We'll help!

Fresh Paint

Thanks alot man, and yes i will be painting it. Ill need help with that later

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

I forgot to mention this, but if you get bondo on to thick it likes to crack and pin hole, so sevral thin coats are better than on thick one.

Crazybillybob

If you do get some pin holeing, use glazing putty (sold @ atuo stores Atuozone, advanced auto or napa type places). It's like bondo but it's thinner and more elastic (Ie it shrinks more) and it fills pin holes nice, but put it on very very thin...skim coat to just fill the low spots.

Good luck

Fresh Paint

Thnaks alot guys much appreciated. I'll start a log when i get started. I'm newer to modding, but very good with my hands(no pun intended) so I'm gonna go all out with this mod.

Case Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Stilz
    Thnaks alot guys much appreciated. I'll start a log when i get started. I'm newer to modding, but very good with my hands(no pun intended) so I'm gonna go all out with this mod.
    Keep us posted .. We all like to see other join in the fun.

Welcome to the 600 post club Malatory ^_^
    lol