Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Project: Chevrolet

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: Project: Chevrolet

As promised, I do not dissappoint

OK, first things first. I added another fan into the mix. This one is equipped with Blue LEDs instead of red because I have 4 Blue LED fans lying around... I actually kind of like the new two tone look more than I thought I would.

It pushes air straight into the air cleaner, acting as a sort of ram-air induction would on a hood scoop.

While I was at Fry's a few days agao buying the memory, I saw this interesting little heat speader amde by ThermalTake. A cool little piece. It has 5 blue LED's the light up The ThermalTake name and 8 different lighting modes/patterns. It can eb had for a mere $18 and is a decent piece. Definitely adds some flavor into the mix.

The light was a little too well concetrated in certain areas, neglecting in others, so I grabbed some clear 3/8" tubing that I had and sanded it using 220 grit paper, then cut it in half, making a half-pipe shape and placed it ontop of the LED assembly, sandehiching it with the metal with "ThermalTake written on it. Looks alright... Could be better, but it works. I was looking into having a place here in Sacto laser cut "Chevrolet" into a small piece of metal to replace the ThermalTake piece, but its dammed expensive...

Also, there's a switch used to cycle through the different light modes, which I decided to custom mount in my unused 3 1/2" drive bay.

On the opposite side of my pimp-ness windows, I put a lighted, chrome license plate frame with the Chevy logo embezzlled (sp?) on it and put a dark red plate with checkered flags for extra bling. I wired it into the cigarette lighter, which would probably never be used anyway...

It gives off the PERFECT amount of light. Just enough to illuminate the side of the case and show a little on the ground infront and in the back, and is by no means over powering, even in a completely dark room.

Finally, I got my acrylic panel with my special tiniting. Oh how I have longed for this piece! It's attached via automotive window tape (the stuff used to by shops when caulking is not an option). There is about a 1/8" gap between the "window" and the metal. I think it just makes it cooler.

The way that this "tint" or mirror works is that the side with the most light will be reflected, hence the mirror when the system is shut down, but when the system fires up and the lights come on, that's when the show begins.

Not a very good pic, but it shows you that the lights inside are doing thier job well. When everything in the box turns on, the mirror becomes a window, allowing you to see everything inside. Pimpness

I installed a blue 6" CCFL on the underside of the powersupply, which is the ideal spot for the subtle light effect that I wanted, plus it sort of hides it

Until I get some better pics,

AceX

Anodized

wow, love the liscense plate... very nice

Anodized

Im just wondering, im in search of a new case coz i really hate my current one and its not really a good one for first time modding. So im wondering, what case did you use for your mod, it looks pretty sweet:p .

Great mod by the way, lots of good ideas such as the 40mm fans in the drive bay.
    "FALLOUT 3, WE SHAL NOT FORGET!!" - Ethan Ctrl-Alt-Del, webcomic

ATX Mental Case

I used my old case that I bought about 3 years ago when I built my first system from scratch. It's called "Supercase" and was made by a company called "Kel" I believe. It's a decent case. It's served me very well. Very sturdy construction. My only beef with it is that it had a very early version of those plastic locking pieces that hold your drives. It was a POS and bright green to boot.

EDIT: My dad and I decided that we are going to do a Corvette themed case now. We might be building it for the VP of the largest Corvette club in America also. My only worry is the budget. That will determine which of my ideas will make it onto the case.

Rankenphile

Very cool execution, the mirror/window is a great idea. The license plate turned out fabulous, too!

Nice work.

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AceX
    The next order of business, seeing as this is a Chevy car themed case, was something that I COMPLETELY ripped off of Tech-Daddy's "Boss FX-57" build.

Why did you even use this when it can't be seen in the window?
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440