Thread: +rep Need help with wireless routers

Default +rep Need help with wireless routers

Hey,

Since I am new to wireless N and the stuff about that I need some serious help, I see some new terms that I didn't see when using a 486 or 56k , so I'm definitely gonna need some help finding a router.

I am looking for a router to stream massive amounts of media through-out my home network; I want this puppy to be screaming fast! Most likely I want to buy it from newegg cause I got 20% off coupons over there, but anything will do.

Lowest price is always best!

If anyone could define these terms for me :

-WPA2
    -WPA

Thanks in advance mates!!
    It's like JFK announcing the moon mission. He had no expertise in space travel, and no way of knowing if it would work. He just announced "we're going to the moon" and then they made it happen because everyone was on the same page and working towards the same goal. If he had said "well, let's get some people in space, and we'll see how far out we can get, and if I find someone to make a rocket strong enough, we could possibly approach the moon's orbit and maybe land" it wouldn't have happened.

Today is a good day to compute. The Black Pumpkin's Avatar

Default Re: +rep Need help with wireless routers

Those are encryptions systems for the wireless signal, like WEP.

WPA and WPA2.
    Bigtop "The Magnificent"-Foxconn A79A-S, Phenom 9600 BlkEd, 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2-1066, Sapphire 4870 1GB
    Newtop "The Rather Nice"-MSI MS-1029, Turion 64 MT-37, 2x1GB Crucial DDR-333, Radeon x700 128MB

WPA is more widely supported by devices, so you are less likely to have compatibility issues using it.

Also, depending on what type of media you are streaming, you might not even need N hardware. I found that N was fast enough for HD video (720p, but I never tried 1080p since I dont have a capable TV), but if you are just streaming regular definition (480p) video and audio, save yourself a bit of money and get regular 802.11g hardware.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Its gonna be 1080P, all of my next set of hardware will be fitted with Blu-Ray drives. Laptops, HTPC's, and Desktops. Also, things will be streaming data all the time, and just on regular use my G router gets bogged down, what type of N solution should I use?
    It's like JFK announcing the moon mission. He had no expertise in space travel, and no way of knowing if it would work. He just announced "we're going to the moon" and then they made it happen because everyone was on the same page and working towards the same goal. If he had said "well, let's get some people in space, and we'll see how far out we can get, and if I find someone to make a rocket strong enough, we could possibly approach the moon's orbit and maybe land" it wouldn't have happened.

It's not necessary to advertise a +rep for help. People will do it anyway. These guys have you on the right track as far as what security. As far as gear goes, I've always been a fan of Linksys.

Agreed.. the rep wasnt really needed. Linksys has been pretty dependable for me also, with the exception of the WRT54G (rev c I think..garrrrrrrbage).

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro