Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Reason I havent been around much lately..

Default The Reason I havent been around much lately..

This is the reason why I've been away lately. Not the best photo since my phone camera pretty much sucks. I'll have to get some better shots of this thing soon.. people keep asking for them!

The guitar is a 1998 Epiphone Les Paul MIK (Made in Korea), and I named her "Jade".

I bought this guitar in 2000 while I was in Russia, and brought her home with me. It was love at first sight in the store.. I went straight for her! In 2003, I fell on some hard times, and sold her to a friend, with the promise that he wouldnt sell her to anyone else, and if I wanted her back, he would sell to me and only me.

Well, this spring I was really missing her, so I phoned him up and asked if he'd be willing to trade for my Ibanez Icx220 "Iceman" guitar. His enthusiastic reply was reassuring. I packed up the iceman and drove to his house.

When I got there, he pulled out Jade, and I had a little cry. Shortly after he bought her, she got dropped and broken. 2 tuning heads, the nut, and a nice chip from the backside of the body, right on the top edge. To top it off, he lost the bridge and the stop bar, as well as the new nut he purchased for her.

So I was left to decide.. do I trade a perfect condition, well setup, metal machine ibanez for the broken down, missing pieces, and filthy les paul?

OF COURSE! He offered to pay for the replacement of the missing pieces, so he owes me $125 for parts.. but I cant even imagine a dollar amount for the time I've spent lovingly rebuilding, cleaning, tweaking, and googling over this wonderful piece of hardware.

We all know the amount of work that goes into building something beautiful, and obsessing over every tiny detail, and I have to say that the work I've put into this guitar probably exceeds the time I've spent on all of my computers.

She plays like a dream, and sounds amazing. Wednesday night I took it to band practice at church, and floored everyone with the good looks and the incredible tone. All the other guitarists were lined up to try her out, and every one of them was ashamed of their own guitars after playing her. I think there'll be a few more Les Paul's at the rehearsal next week.

So let's talk mods!

I had to replace the missing parts anyways, so I decided to go with a graphite nut and saddles, since I've always had strings break in one of those two spots over the years. A new tune-o-matic bridge, and nice stainless tail stop rounded out the package. ($125)

I picked up a new knob to replace the missing one ($6 for one knob), and a new set of D'addario nickel lites ($8 ), and proceeded to tune, retune, adjust, tweak, and tune for 4 solid days.

I ended up top wrapping the strings for a bit more sustain/action/break protection, but I'm not sure I'll keep it that way.. time will tell. I'm also switching up to Pure Nickel 11's ($12 strings) next, and probably adjusting the neck a *bit* more, then raising the action at the bridge just a fraction.. that should help clear up a bit of buzz around the 8'th fret on the low strings.

Other than that, a quick pickup adjustment, and she's good to go! Plays and sounds amazing, even better than she looks! (Like I said.. the picture does it NO justice!)

We have other guitarists in here, post your main axe!

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: The Reason I havent been around much lately..

My friend owns a Les Paul, he paid a good couple grand for it (I want to say 6k?). He used part of his inheritance to purchase it, lucky punk.

I remember I was over one day while he was practicing and he let me play around with it. I don't know how to play guitar, although I have one and have been trying to learn for awhile, but the sound that came from it was beautiful. Although, that could of been partially due to the fact that my amp isn't even 12 inches tall whereas his amp is like 4 feet across and probably 6 feet tall. lol its a freaking monster.

Thats a beautiful guitar by the way. I LOVE that color!
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I'm currently playing it through a Marshall Valvestate AVT 100. Partylikearockstar probably will say something like, "Get a real marshall!" or "Solid state sucks!" or something.. haha.. he's a smart ass. This AVT rocks a tube pre-amp, and a solid state power amp. Tone + power + cheap.

What do you play Zephik?

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    I'm currently playing it through a Marshall Valvestate AVT 100. Partylikearockstar probably will say something like, "Get a real marshall!" or "Solid state sucks!" or something.. haha.. he's a smart ass. This AVT rocks a tube pre-amp, and a solid state power amp. Tone + power + cheap.

What do you play Zephik?
    lol nothing worth bragging about thats for sure. Just some cheap-o I picked up at the local music shack. Paid like $200 for it or something like that. Its a red Cort X-2. Although the one I wanted was a Cort X-2 SA but they didn't have any.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

I started lessons about five weeks ago... I have a guitar that looks almost like that as well.

According to a review I read recently, Raven brand guitars are pretty much really nice "practice" guitars modelled after Gibsons.

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Damn, this thread is making me miss my Wolfgang. I sold it in 2004 to fund a trip to Denver to see (who else?) Van Halen. Seemed like a good idea at the time. If I ever get another chance to get one of these, you can bet your bacon I'm going take it and not regret it.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Do you guys ever start listening to music and have trouble stopping to practice guitar? lol

Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    Do you guys ever start listening to music and have trouble stopping to practice guitar? lol
    Nope, but I drive my wife nuts, because usually I'm trying to play along with something so I'll stop/rewind/restart the song 100's of times to try and nail each part.

Currently overplayed song: Blue on Black by Kenny Wayne Shepherd.

Second and Third solos are making me crazy!

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Quote Originally Posted by DrumThumper View Post

Damn, this thread is making me miss my Wolfgang. I sold it in 2004 to fund a trip to Denver to see (who else?) Van Halen. Seemed like a good idea at the time. If I ever get another chance to get one of these, you can bet your bacon I'm going take it and not regret it.
    You know, I never was a fan of the Wolfgangs... and that D-tuner drove me nuts when I tried it out. TBH, the last time I played one, I was 17, and the VH sound wasnt my thing.. maybe I should try one again now..?

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post

Thats a sexy guitar man! Makes me want to play!

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/