Thread: Help! My keyboard is cutting out during game play.

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Default Help! My keyboard is cutting out during game play.

This has been happening since I finished BIOHAZARD. I will be driving a vehicle in BF2 or walking around in FEAR or any other thing that requires constant pressure on a key and out of no where its like the computer looses all signal from the keyboard until I lift my finger off the key its holding down and then press it again. This is getting annoying and causing me to get killed some.

The keyboard is a MS comfort wireless. They receiver is 8" away from the keyboard and there is nothing between them. I have tried moving it further away and closer and the problem is still there. The receiver is hooked up VIA USB because I lost the little USB-PS2 thing.

Anyone ever heard of this?

Default Re: Help! My keyboard is cutting out during game play.

I have heard of it - I had two wired Dell PS/2 keyboards that did that (in this case, with older Dell 'boards, QuietKey back, grey plug = trouble, purple plug = OK).

More relevant, probably, is my experience with a cheap GE wireless laser mouse that, once a button was held down for several seconds, assumed you wanted it held down for you forever.

Both of these issues, however, were more severe than what you've had - in my case, the devices wouldn't work at all (keyboards went away, mouse would think you held down the button) until they were unplugged and plugged back in, and in the mouse's case, resynced with the receiver.

I haven't a clue why this might happen. Just wanted to let you know you aren't alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

I have the same issue with the same keyboard when playing WoW or Halflife. I had to give up and hooked up a PS2 keyboard to play games on. if you figure this out let me know. I want to say its something to do with the way USB receives info. I tried hooking up my wired keyboard with a PS2 to USB adapter but still got the same problem, when I went straight PS2 problem went away.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

I have a wireless Logitech and never had a problem (unless I was sitting on my bed with the kb on my lap (signal gets lost in my puffy blanket)

Are your batteries cutting out on ya? did it come with any controller software? maybe its a setting to save battery life or something you can turn off. I dunno just some ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bopher View Post
    I have the same issue with the same keyboard when playing WoW or Halflife. I had to give up and hooked up a PS2 keyboard to play games on. if you figure this out let me know. I want to say its something to do with the way USB receives info. I tried hooking up my wired keyboard with a PS2 to USB adapter but still got the same problem, when I went straight PS2 problem went away.
    I am going to dig out an old cheepie corded keyboard I have tonight. Use it strait PS2. If the problem goes away then we can narrow it down to the keyboard. I too feel that its something in the USB protocol that switches or drops one channel for a millisecond to check the other channel or something.

Where the hell is the "any" key? HackSore's Avatar

i have been having the same sort of issues with my keyboard latetly, though mine would seem to be a hardware problem with the actual keyboard, probably a loose connection.
    Its a wired keyboard, and sometimes it'll just totally cut out, the only way i can get it working again is by giving it a reasonable knock against my knee! lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneslowz28 View Post
    The keyboard is a MS comfort wireless. They receiver is 8" away from the keyboard and there is nothing between them.
    When last did you replace your batteries? My MS comfort wireless (the now the 3000 one, so the receiver has the build in USB/PS2 splitter) will occasionally flake out on me when the batteries get low, or when I get RF interference (there is a ton of 2.4Ghz usage in my area for some reason). You can also try paring the keyboard with the receiver again as it will likely have it switch RF channels.

edit: Noticed this thread was over a month old now, did you figure out the problem yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

ya i know exactly what u are talkin about, it happened to me the first day i bought this POS from wal-mart. cuts out constantly, sometimes it would just stop then it would start again, last wireless keyboard i will ever buy, cheap, i expected more from microsoft.....if anyone figures this out drop me a line, cuz i want to smash this piece of sh*t into a brick wall. i have to use my old keyboard when i game, so i have 2 keyboards on my desk, good keyboard for everything but gaming....i reinstalled drivers like 3 times, no help....mouse works ok but keyboard sux. DONT BUY A MICROSOFT WIRELESS COMFORT KEYBOARD 4000, its a combo pack that comes with the microsoft wireless laser mouse 5000.....i hope someone fixes this, or takes it to microsoft....peace