Thread: Synergy Question?

Default Synergy Question?

Perhaps my googlefu isn't that great, or maybe its just the topic or wording, but I can't seem to find an answer. I could just try but wanted to get an idea before I waste time installing and configuring.

I've got two 22" lcds. Both are hooked up to my gaming/dev box for more screen real estate.

I've got a linux box that I want to be able to turn on, switch inputs on the (secondary dev box) monitor to it with a push of a button, and use synergy to just slide my mouse over to the other screen and boom go to work.

If the linux box is on, but not the monitors focus (as in the monitor is on the dev box input) will doing stuff on that side screen still go through on the linux box?
    As in, I don't want to be clicking around on the right screen of the dev box, but have synergy still pass clicks and focus over to the linux box. Does synergy understand when a monitor isn't on the correct input and stop sending?

I don't want a mess over on the linux box when I switch back over to it.

Default Re: Synergy Question?

Quote Originally Posted by NightrainSrt4 View Post
    Does synergy understand when a monitor isn't on the correct input and stop sending?

I don't want a mess over on the linux box when I switch back over to it.
    Nope

It will continue to function just like if the monitor was on, to a degree, BUT you may be ok, because when your second monitor is being used by the primary computer it should move the linux box display to the right side of the secondary screen. It may take a bit of testing to figure it out for sure.

Hmmm. Ya, I might just have to test things. If not, it's not like it is a huge issue to just swap the kb/mouse usb's to the other computer, but if I go back and forth a bit that would make me just want to toss the linux box into a VM.

Just hate having rigs lying around that aren't being used for at least something. But if its going to be a pain then I'll just have to search for more people to give em away to lmfao.

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Use your spare rigs to set up a bunch of Folding@Home boxes.

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

I've never used the software so I'm just throwing this out there but I'm going to assume that synergy will see this set up as three displays. It just happens that two of those connections are going to a single monitor. You would have to mouse over to the "third" display(your linux box) in order to start working with it.

Don't look at it as each monitor is a screen, think about it as each display port, or each video cable is a separate screen.
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.