Thread: Sound troubles

Default Sound troubles

I am having a strange issue with my integrated sound. When playing a game (left 4 dead & rainbow 6 Vegas 2) my audio with momentarily switch between the front audio (if I'm using headphones) and the speakers every few moments. If I'm not using headphones the speakers will cut out ever few moments. This only happens when im playing a game. I can watch streaming videos and tv (via my capture card) without any disruption in sound.

I just moved my system back into its case after modding it, in the last case everything was fine. I initially thought that i might have damaged the front audio jacks. But when i disconnected them from the mobo it seamed to fix the problem with the audio cutting out but another problem showed up. When i was playing R6V2 only half the audio was being played. I could hear the sound effects (explosions, gun fire, etc.) but i couldn't hear any of the character voices for either the commands or scripted sequences.

This one has me really scratching my head i cant seam to isolate the issue and i haven't been able to find anyone with a similar problem (via google search) So any help in narrowing down the problem would be greatly appreciated

I'm running an AMD Phenom x4 9950 ocd to 3.0 ghz on a MSI K9A2 Platinum mobo w/ 8 gb of G.Skill DDR2 800 ram, ATI Radeon 4890 1gb, and Vista 64 Ultimate. The audio is intergrated into the K9A2, its a Realtek ALC888/ALC888T 8 channel 7.1 HD audio controller.

Default Re: Sound troubles

Did you connect the front panel connector with the HD audio, or the AC97 connector?

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Did you connect the front panel connector with the HD audio, or the AC97 connector?
    HD audio

Quote Originally Posted by UnWantedSoldier View Post
    I am having a strange issue with my integrated sound. When playing a game (left 4 dead & rainbow 6 Vegas 2) my audio with momentarily switch between the front audio (if I'm using headphones) and the speakers every few moments.
    But when i disconnected them from the mobo it seamed to fix the problem with the audio cutting out but another problem showed up. When i was playing R6V2 only half the audio was being played. I could hear the sound effects (explosions, gun fire, etc.) but i couldn't hear any of the character voices for either the commands or scripted sequences.
    After re-reading your post, I'm thinking "drivers". Have you tried to uninstall/reinstall your audio drivers?

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

Have you triple checked all of your connections? With 7.1 cards, and especially surround sound setups, having one plug in the wrong place may be alright in some scenarios but when you give the card a chance to actually use it's channels the problems come alive.

If you're using the front audio jacks, make sure they're hooked up correctly as well. Although rare, they can come with a pin in the wrong place so you may need to get a needle or something to pop out the pin and adjust to whatever your documents tell you it should be.

Despite all that, I'm leaning more towards drivers, as luke stated. I was just throwing in extra ideas.

thx for the help guys, i had already updated the drivers just prior to this but i went ahead and completely removed them this time then installed them. That fixed the issue with the voices in rainbow 6 however the jack issue persists. I disconnected them again and that appears to have solved the problem so it looks like there is something physically wrong with my front audio panel. i just put this damn thing back together now i have to strip it down again lol. hopefully i can get antec to send me another one.