Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out smarted by an 8 month old

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

Default Out smarted by an 8 month old

So here's the deal and everybody can laugh all you want at this.

I recently changed the file server over to Ubuntu and was having some issues with the processor staying at 100% all the time. Well I figured I had no real time or programs invested into Ubuntu yet so I figured maybe my installation was messed up so I said whatever and went ahead and reinstalled with Ubuntu server because I have other plans for the future and thought server would be much easier to work with.

So I'm setup on the floor next to the tv so I have access to the internet to do all the updates, install stuff yada, yada, yada. As I'm working my daughter is now 8 months and has mastered the crawling comes over to visit. As she's sitting there she mashes about half the keyboard and the screen goes nuts. I get her off of the keyboard and check the settings real quick. Thinking everything is fine I continue in my Linux stupidity without double checking the disk that the installation was set to.

So the install goes real good and fast and I think everything is good. Computer reboots and there is Ubuntu 9.04 like before...Ok where did the server edition install too. It installed onto the Picture drive. Okay everybody insert laughter here. I have now lost 7 GB of pictures and movies taken over the last 8 months.

Now the ultimate question, is there a way to recover the pictures that were on a ntfs formatted drive, that is now formatted in ext with Ubuntu installed. I pulled the drive hoping to use my Windows machine to try and save the pictures but of course Windows can't see the drive because of the format, or its just trying to make me crazy. Even if I could only save 1/2 the most current files I would be happy.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

Default Re: Out smarted by an 8 month old

OH NO!! thats no good! my 15 mo son LOOOVES keyboards, and has done some interesting things to my wireless keyboard. thank god logitech makes a decent keyboard. as for deleting things, I am pretty sure my stuff is still intact... now I wonder...

as for the drive, I know not how to recover the lost files... sorry hopefully someone on here has a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

A file recovery program might be able to rescue some of them.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

PM Sent

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

second the recovery software

if you would like the most files back i would suggest you stop saving things to that partition, as things that get deleted corroid away when new files go in there place. there is a small change you can get something back tho..
    Basic Math:
    1 + 1 = 2
    1 * 1 = 1

I think you all for the help. right now I have shut down the server and only boot it when I'm trying a suggested recovery system. My biggest problem is the fact that the drive was ntfs so I could share with Windows and the setup system changed it to the ext3 and installed the new Ubuntu to it. Everything I'm seeing is telling me it is hopeless. I hope its not though. I can boot to a live CD and was trying "data digging" is what was said in the ubuntu forums but I'm not having any luck with the program that is suggested.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

Well everything seems good now. I was able to use a program and pulled a lot of pictures off of the drive. I'm transferring files to 3xNES so I can go through them easier then laying on the floor next to the server. But that's going to take 23 hours according to Windows 7. Now I just need to get Ubuntu to boot up with all three drives and the CDROM. But every time I hook up the original picture drive I get a error 17 in the grub loader. But thanks to everyone's suggestions and help.

Its good to hear your getting something back. at least you havent been found with your pants fully down

if you can change the software to do a deeper scan after you have recoverd so much it will be well worth to see what else you can pull off. just bare in mind it can take forever to use but im sure if you want it back you will wait for it
    Basic Math:
    1 + 1 = 2
    1 * 1 = 1

There's a program called Recuva. It's free. Made by the same people that make CCleaner and Defraggler.

http://www.recuva.com/
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

Well that's not funny at all! I was waiting for a "she hit some button and magically fixed the computer" or something.

I say take note of this and when she's 5 or 6 randomly ground her for the trouble she caused you when she was 8 months old.