Thread: Windows Liscence test?

Fresh Paint

Default Windows Liscence test?

Any way I could test a serial code for windows, short of trying to install it on something?

Just found a OEM sticker on the base of my current mod case (which I got for free) and was wondering if it was worth noting down the number for a future install somewhere...
    It could be worse, you could work at Starbucks...

Like me...

ATX Mental Case The Great Destroyer's Avatar

Default Re: Windows Liscence test?

from what i've been told, the only numbers that work with any CD are XP Professional. we had a case at school that we reformatted, but didnt have the key. so we used the key that was on the case, and it worked.

edit: as to your sig, is is worse. i work at mcdonalds!
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!

Default Re: Windows Liscence test?

not really no, and the COA's on machines can be for XP Home, Pro or MCE.
    Vista Home B, Premium, Business, Ultimate.

It dosen't matter, but them codes are locked to an OEM provider, IE, if the machine was a DELL, the code will only work on a DELL when you use a DELL recovery disk, the dell recovery disk will install a cert for DELL machines, and that cert has to match one embedded in the BIOS, If it dosen't match the the code is useless and won't validate the machine, this is why OEM machines from providers don't need activation when you reinstall using the provided discs.

Enjoy

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!