Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Project: Outpost 948

Default Project: Outpost 948

ok I'm starting back on this after a 4 month break from minor work, and a 6 month break from major work so I'm just reposting the topic without my procrastination posts. I've suddenly become organized and they were getting on my nerves. If you want to see the old one go here: http://thebestcasescenario.com/forum...=8668#post8668 .

Also please ignore any spelling mistakes as I'm sure they were pointed out before

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The year is 2126, for over the past 100 years the world has been in war. This has not been a war of boundaries, but a war of belief. In the start on the new Millinea, the world was shocked by the first of many terrorist attacks. Attacks like nothing that could have been imagined. Each one bringing thousands of deaths. The United States formed a coalition with other nations in an attempt to bring those responsible "to justice". For 15 years they fought a blind war, never knowing where the increasing number of attacks were coming from, or even who was organizing them. By 2050 nearly 1 million people had been killed, either in fighting, or from unseen attacks. The world agreed they must fight together to stop this ghostly evil. All free countries, and even some non free ones, Cuba, China, and many others came together with The United States and England to fight under one flag, the flag of know as that of Nations for Global Peace. Then it happened... an attack so massive, it instantly killed 250,000 people, with 400,000 wounded. The total death count would be over 600,000. A nuclear weapon had struck one of the nations largest cities. It could have been worse, but the missile malfunctioned, going under-water before it exploded. After this point, the newly formed NGP set out to create a defense system like nothing the world had ever seen. A system to make Hitlers Atlantic wall look like a child's fort made from card-board boxes. They decided on a system of self sufficient cities, with airports, and research labs, hospitals and water purifiers; they decided on; Outposts. Outposts with the most advanced Radar systems, top-of-the-line air craft. The Outposts themselves were bunkers made to survive nuclear attacks. Thousands of these bunkers were built, in steamy Jungles, in frigid mountains, on small islands, and in the arid deserts. They were given numbers for easy identification in case of an attack. This is one of those Outposts. This is Outpost 948.

Ok, have fun reading? Yes I got bored, anyway. To give an idea of how this mod is designed (I don't have CAD or and fancy drawings,so your going to have to imagine this one :p ). I'll post some pics when I can get my digital camera workin. Anyway, I started with a mid-size ATX case, I will be using something I love from the Doom 3 mod, the rocks.In my mod rocks will create a small mountain on the front left of the case, the mountain will slope down till it hits the ground on the lower right side of the case. There will be a tunnel with a 120 mm fan inside. The right side will have a window, and on top of the case there will be a, acrylic box on a bit of an angle, on top the will be a runway with a few jets and helicopters. The rocks will be painted tan and I will attempt to give the the appearence of the desert. The case will be painted a tan color. Yes I know it seems plain, but would it be that fun if I told you everything right away?

Well, I'll post some pics of what I've done tomarrow, once I get the time. most of this mod will be built with things I have laying around, my budget is about $100, so I need to spend wisely, hopefully it will turn out pretty nice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

lol, yeah I mean bored. I was falling asleep when I wrote that. You should have seen the amount of speling errors in my little background paragraph before spell-check.

Ok here is the case I am using. Its an old beige box. It used to have a P3 600mhz inside, but I'm going to be putting in my P4 3 ghz (which is my normal PC) in it instead.

Heres the left side, it has a cutout that I used for my Project Husky. When I make the window I just have to be sure that I cut around the current hole and everything should be dandy.

And heres the right side:

This cases was sitting in my room for about 4 months during the school year, I got board while doing my homework and would draw on it, thinking about modding it but never cutting it, which is why theres writing all over it :p

----------------------------------------------------------------------

What I am going to do is first give it a gray base coat, then I will paint some areas tanish to get the impression of sand and the desert, then I am going to give areas of a darker gray and rust. I'm still debating how to make the inside look though, if I want to make it seems all futuristic but in the desert (think of Area 51 from Independance Day), or make it look like a battle was inside as well. If anyone thinks one will look better than the other, let me know, give your opinion, thats why this is here .

Also I did a (really) quick drawing in photoshop of the basic design that I have decided on. Ok this looks REALY crappy because usually if I have an idea, I draw it out on paper not the PC, so please don't laugh here, its free handing on a computer .

Of course this is without the paint scheme I just described.

The scan lines are where I'm going to stealth my 2 drives, proboly by painting them and covering them with some mesh.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so I got some more pictures today, and did quite some work.

First I cut out my window. Once it was cut out I decided to fill in the "handles" on the case sides with bondo to smooth them out.

Then I sanded them smooth.

Once they were pretty smooth I took them out to the garage and gave them each a coat of white primer. Tomorrow I will sand it out a bit more and then give it another coat.

Heres a picture of the window that I cut out. I think it look pretty cool, but thats because I cut it :p . I'm playing around with a few ideas for the window, I'm thinking of puting some mesh infront of the plexiglass. Anyway heres the left panel.

Over the past few days I have been slowly building my mountain. Heres how its coming so far.

As I said before there will be a cave in the rocks housing a 120mm fan. To make the tunnel I am using the cover of a CD spindle. Its almost a perfect size for a 120mm.

And just for fun I thought I would post a pic of my "workplace". Its really just some white table my dad got for free when they moved out of an office building and a spot light, also note the extremely comfortable concrete floor.[/sarcasm]

Default Re: Project: Outpost 948

----------------------------------------------------------------------

ok, update. Having cancled our final trip for the summer I have had alittle time to work on this. and in a sense I have "gone back to the drawing board". The more I looked at the design the more I realized how boring a large mountian was. In this pic from my last update you can see alitle of what I mean:

As I stuck the rocks togather they loose alot of texture. I feel that if I were to build the whole thing the way I currently am, it would look too manufactured, not like rock. So, to combat this I have been throwing around some ideas, things like a tank depot, turrets, or missles..anything to bring the mountian to life. This project is like a monster, every time I look at I get some other idea and that gets added to the bunch. I have some plans for inside now, as well as the window to make it look like it really got shot through. Also, I might be removing the plans for a 5 inch LCD in favor of this because it has a more "militaristic" look to it:

http://www.xoxide.com/vl-system-lis-pop-vfd-green.html

Also it can control some fans and lights. But more on that later .

Well, thats about where this project is at now. I need to get somethings before I continue, for the landing strip on top I am torn between build model aircraft, or just getting some die-cast models and the re-painting them. I'm leaning toward the die-cast ones becasue they are easier, and much more sturdy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll think about it, I don't want it to fall of going to LAN's though :p .

Ok update time.

So today I spent about an hour walking around my basement thinking about my project. (Because if I tell my mom I'm working on something, then I don't have to clean my room) Anyway, during this time I found these:

Foam posterboard, at first I didn't think much about it, then I remembered my dad had found them by a dumpster at his office and told me I could do what ever I wanted to with them. So I began thinking, then after dinner I started building. I cut out some shapes with an Xacto knife I found in a box. I then hot glued these cutout the the right side of the case.

Heres what I have done so far:

Tomarrow I am going to do some more cut-outs and paste them on.

OH, yeah, when I was wondering around and moving some boxes I found this and instantly thought, "WTF? This looks like its from a Half Life 2 mod".

------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok heres the new stuff.

Having the main put off for this project be my lack of any workspace, I decided I needed to do something about that. It so happens that I also had my mom getting on my back about my closet being a mess and possibly a biohazard zone.

I bet you can see where this is going. So about 2 weeks, 3 industrial sized garbage bags, a 55 gallon rubbermaid box later, plywood, particle board, 6 two-by-fours, and many deckmate screws later I ended up with this as my closet.

I also recently inventoried all the computer parts I have laying around, plus I'm getting another old computer from my dads office (score!).

OH and my dad got this new toy which I enjoy using as well:

Nikon D70S camera.

Ok well thats that. Heres what I did on the mod with my new space. First the case itself. I cut some sheet aluminium to put over the drive bay's to cover them. I'm proboly going to wet sand it and the and some more mesh on it around the edges.

I also did some work on my window. I used plastistruct pieces to add to the "blast through" effect. And the plexi you see is just a place holder untill I can find some gray/smoked plexi to replace it. And of course I had to make use of modders mesh, I love this stuff. Not really sure how to describe how I used it, better just take a look:p .

The duct tape is just holdiong the plexi so I can see how it looks before I get the smoked kind.
    Well, that about where this stands now. I will be working on this when ever I get the time which should be pretty often, aslong as I can come up with good ideas for stuff.

The design seems nice. Loving the window cut out. Nice job! What LCD screen you getting?

Fresh Paint

im guna keep watching this it looks like it has a lot of potential

I like this one love the change from the commonly shaped windows.

The only question i have is would the foam posterboard might have issues in painting? but if not i like the idea cuz i have tons of that stuff around.

RobjaFalu: I may change this to exclude the LCD. I don't want to spend $100 on one, and the 5 inch LCD I had went through a little accident this last weekend. While cleaning my room a Capacitor fell off the control board, if I can't figure out where it came fromand fix it I will have to exclude it from the mod.

Crimson13: I would proboly discourage the use of foam board. What I didn't realize untill I got that quarter done is that the foam tends to dissolve when in contact with spray paint. I haver to hot glue completely around each piece, and when I paint it I will make it look like metal/welding.

yeah i figured that the foam would do that but you could use caulk as well as hot glue and the caulk you can form to a 45 degree angle with a flat edge along the foamboard or any shape to give it a diff look cuz it dosent dry as fast as the hotglue would

Anodized

wow, looking really nice

thanks abnoea.

Crimson13, you can shape hot glue, it just requires a zippo and an OLD screwdriver .

I have a question for yall too. I'm lookiong for some cheap mesh, not modders mesh, have that. I just need something with a different pattern, I don't want to over use the stuff I have, any recomendations welcome.