Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Project: Outpost 948

Default Re: Project: Outpost 948

there is expanded steel that has a diamond pattern to it but not sure where to get it or how much it would be but its an idea.

yeha I have seen that, but its about $50 for a 2ft by 1ft piece.

Fresh Paint

Hey Aero, you could go up to your local walmart or what not and buy one of those mesh trash cans, cut it up and you have some different mesh. The cans sell for like I don't know 10 bucks or something?

I'm using one for another project.

Default Update!

Well, I went to Walmart. And bought some of those desk accessories during a sale and now have 2 types of mesh .

Ok, update on this. I recently got my brand new Scroll Saw. A craftsman 18 inch. Ok, pictures speak better than words, so heres what I got cut for the first sit down.

Sorry for he yellow tint, the lights in my room suck, I'll get a clearer pic for the next update. These are to replace the old foam board I had there. Each will be flame polished on the sides and painted on the top. then I will place an LED under them so they glow . Which will hopefully give an interesting effect. the top will be painted to what I can only describe as "desert rust". So yes, I have no idea how it will look yet:p. Also you may have notice I only have enough for part of the case. i'm still brainstorming on what to do with the back half the panel. but as for the top of the front half, its going to be a lesson is makeing use of everything. Heres the pieces I'm starting with.

I'm hopeng to work on it today so I'll try to get an update soon.

Well, I got time to work on this today.

First thing I got done was to empty that can of Coke . I then took to it with a Dremel cutting disk and cut off the bottom, the part that curves inward. Then I masked off the paper clip cup. And marked where to cut because it was alittle too long for what I'm using it for.

After it was taped and marked off evenly it was time to bust out the ol' Dremel.

After i cut it I noticed it was a bit long, but I didn't want to cut more because if I did it wouldn't let enough light out once I place an LED in it. So to add to the otherwise plain mesh I took some piece of Aluminium I had laying around and cut them into small plates to match the Acrylic on the bottom of the panel.

I also took some Aluminium angle channel I had and placed it around the old 80mm fan holder I ripped out of the case to make room for a 120mm.

The mesh cup fits over the hole perfect too. I need to bondo them togather still but I'm goign to wait to bondo some other things at the same time, sohere how far it is now.

Also heres a close up of the plexi I cut for the bottom half.

If nothing else, you're being very inventive on this mod. I'd like to see how this works out.

Have you considered getting a piece or two of scrap case?

Rankenphile

*scratch head*

Interesting stuff. Can't wait to see where you go with this. Very inventive - I love scrap-built projects.

Don't know how i missed this thread! Keep up the great work man, really inventive stuff here.

I got my mesh for free from a metalwork shop, they just gave it to me. Man i love those guys when i hear some of the horror stories on these forums!

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Really Sweet mod man! Must see more soon!!

Fresh Paint

Love the story behind the mod. So far it's looking pretty damn good. Will be checking in on this.