Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Project: Outpost 948

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Default Re: Project: Outpost 948

This is gonna be awesome lol great work.

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Any idea of what the specs are gonna be for this nice lookin case.

I just like to get an idea of what other peopel are putting int heir cases these days.
    Need a sig

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

You should make those pipes be attached to an exhaust fan.

That would be cool.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Who's that ugly geezer behind the nikon!!

Only messin dude. This looks really cool, Ive never seen a better use for coke can!

Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    You should make those pipes be attached to an exhaust fan.

That would be cool.
    I was thinkin of 3 40mm. Won't be alot, but should help pull the air around the mobo to kep it nice and cool.

Also Simon, the specs right now will be my current PC.
    P4 3.0 GHZ
    1 gig RAM
    370 total HDD space
    ATI 9800 XT

I'm trying to get a new PC but with not having a job, and having to pay for things like gas and other stuff (only 17) its lookin grim. But with some prices drops I've been hearing about it might happen.

Thanks for the comments guys! Sorry I've been busy with friends, volunteer work, and college searching so I havn't had much time to check the forums. But I did work on this some today here we go. Oh and this is for the top of the case by the way. I need to borrow my friends drill press to get through that aluminium angle channel on the vent.

Ok, first I got an idea on what to do for the top. The entire top will be a small water tank (still considering water cooling), the back 1/4 will have 2 cooling towers that you see near nuclear power plants. Under the water will be pipes and tubes along with missles. I would like to hook the missles up to servos and have them angle up out of the water at certain times. But not quite sure how to do that yet.

Today I started attacking the case with my drill. First thing was to take out all the revits. I found the right size drill bit and started drilling out the centers.

The fun thing with revits is that as you drill them out, the ring stays on the drill bit.

So I got all the revits out, removed the top, and realized something bad. This case design sucks. Lets see if you can see whats wrong with this picture.

Anything? See something missing? The top support bar that the side panel hooks into is part of the top of the case!

While not a major problem, it still ned to be addressed, and that will take more time.

But after all that I took some 1/8 inch plexi and used my good ol' heat gun to form it into the start of the holding tank for the top.

Theres a few scratches that will need to be buffed out later but it truned out pretty well so far. Well, thats all I got for ya today. As usuall ideas and comments are appreciated!

so, like the whole top o' ur case'll be a resevoir? that'll look sweet when u get water pumping through it

I'm still not sure if it will be a working resevoir or not. I'm very...er..Lets just say I don't like trusting my whole PC on 2 or 2 small plastic seals. Plus I don't have tons of money to spend on a good water cooling setup. I think I'm going to stick with air cooling..alot of air cooling, but air cooling none the less. The water will be for effect more than anything. I want to shoot for a swampy/sewer look that will tie into the vents on the side of the case. Also I want to cut off the top so the plexi tank will be a window into the top of the case.

Howdy everyone. I love to see how much everyone is loving this mod[/sarcasm]

*cough*

j/k, j/k

Ok, yes, well. I've been alittle busy lately trying to wrap up some loose ends with different parts of this. Jumping from one thing to the next. One of the reasons I hadn't been doing too much plexi work on this is becasue the blade I had for my scroll saw were too thin and the teeth were too small. This lead to melting, and with plexiglass, thats very bad. Because when you cut it just molds back togather. I did what I always do...I made a Sears run. And I bought some unidirectional blades. These baldes are just like a normal blade but twisted so that it has teeth on all sides.

The extra distance between the teeth in any one direction, along with the wider cutting path keeps the plexiglass (even the 1/8 inch stuff I've been using) from fusing back togather. So armed with my new blades I cut out the sides to my resovior on top.

After some coaxing with my power sander and dremel they fit pretty good. Not perfect, but once they are siliconed in they will be fine.

Once the sides were cut I cut out a piece of foam board to use as a mock up for the power station. The top will have 2 nuclear cooling towers ontop of a small building, with 2 80 mm fans.

So I grabbed an old 80mm I had laying around and marked off about where they will need to go with a candle (the wax shows up on the black foam board).

Then I was standing there looking at the board trying to figure out what I am going to do for the building below the towers. AndI noticed a long since scrapped part of this mod that I just left ont he ground and it never got thrown out. The original plan called for a hanger on top with a runway leading to the front with airplanes on it. I started making the hanger and then realized I didn't like the idea. Now its time to bring back the old "hanger" and make it into a nuclear power station.

If anyone has noticed I like making use of things I have laying around, and modding them to fit on the case. My old Hanger was actually a bread pan that my mom was going to throw out. So I now have a coke can and a bread pan if anyone's keeping track.

And finally I cutout the final window. I didn't take any pre-fileing shots but heres what it looks like now.

Thats after about a half an hour of fileing. I've still got about 1/4 to go and the tidy up the corners.

And thats about it for this update. I've still got to figure out how to get the right shape for the cooling towers. If anyone has any ideas I'm always interested. Well, seeing as how its now lightining about every .2 second I think I should shut down my desktop. So I will end this simply.

-end-o-update-

Ok. well I havn't really worked on this. But I have gotten a few supplies and plans made so here we go.

first, one of the reasons I havn't been working on this all that much.

Yeah, we've been getting pounded with storms alot recently. BUT in between the rain I got to go somewhere I have never been. The most amazing store ever.

Basically a farm suppluy store with everything from clothes, to tools, to snack food. Everything a modder needs. OH and very cheap Aluminium. I picked up these for about $6 total. Which would have cost about $15 at Home Depot.

The tubing will become the missles I refered to earlier. Its light enough so I should be able to lift them up without torque issues on the old servos I'm gong to rip out of something.

I also picked up some PVC pipe for the airvents I want to place on the side. behind the mobo.

Oh, I also got these. not sure where I'm going to use them yet, but I want to place a "control panel" somewhere to control the fans and maybe even the lights later in this project.

And now the best for last. I got a new box. But what can it be?

Of course with the obligatory 80mm size comparison.

ITS MY NEW TABLE ROUTER .

Unfortunatly I didn't have enough money for the bits so I havn't been able to use it yet. I'm planning on using it for Aluminium so if anyone has any recommendations about good bits for Aluminium I'd like to know whats the best to use. Well, thats about it. Hopefully another update coming soon.

AP BC Calculus = Headaches

wow, that table router looks sweet! cant wait to see what magic you do with it!