Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: -= For Noobs =- (self proclaimed or otherwise)

Water Cooled

Yes I agree with you Dante, if you have a question, just ask. But the only thing is, if they dont know what they like and what they would like to see on their pc, then theres noone who can help them. Its like when you want to go. Then I ask "Go where?", but you dont know where. So whats the point of even going? Of course they might get some ideas, but pictures and galleries are a lot more usefull than anyone can describe it, a picture speaks 1000 words. Once they know where they want to go, we can help them get there.

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by Frakk
    Yes I agree with you Dante, if you have a question, just ask. But the only thing is, if they dont know what they like and what they would like to see on their pc, then theres noone who can help them. Its like when you want to go. Then I ask "Go where?", but you dont know where. So whats the point of even going? Of course they might get some ideas, but pictures and galleries are a lot more usefull than anyone can describe it, a picture speaks 1000 words. Once they know where they want to go, we can help them get there.

I just want to go though
    Mesh makes the world go around!!!!

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by Frakk

Exactly! But with a general idea, such as the type of case (mini, desktop, mid, tower or rackmount, etc.) Half the fun of modding a case is picking it out. If someone asked me for help, and they said they want something big, I'll ship them URLs for big cases, or ask them if they saw something before that they liked.

If someone said they want to use red and green, I'd help them to decide which of the two colours will be their focus, and help them decide which parts will be painted with the secondary colour for accenting. Usually I'm good with colour.

As for someone waying they want help. What is it they want help with? Do they want me to clamp down their panel for them? Do they want me to cut the hole?

I think what it boils down to is that new users need to understand that with the net, there are many levels of communication break-down to contend with, and the best way to avoid this break-down is to be as descriptive as possible with their questions.

For example:

A user posts; "I was looking through the galleries and saw all these awesome windows (i think that's what they're called) and I want one for my computer. how do I do that?"

This question would probably illicit 3 to 10 individual responses, most with useful information. I know JesDer loves to tout his Dremel guide, with good reason. It's great.

A user posts; "I need help with my casemods."

This usually illicits the same number of responses, but most of them slam the user. I too am guilty of this. My reasoning is if the user cannot put forth the effort to explain himself properly, as in the first example, he probably won't have the attention span to finish it anyway. Why bother? Other people may have different reasons, but usually that's mine.

I think if we all (myself included, right to the front of the line) take a step back when a new user asks for help, and provide a few qualifying questions, things would improve for new users breaking into modding.
    -=-=-=-=-
    When computers collide, Bob is born
    And remember, boys and girls, it's better to say nothing, if that's what you know.

Anodized

Default wow

wow i like the guide and thought it was very thought out, but as for a theme i am new and have thought on this subject alot, i dont think it is completely necessary, but 9 times out of 10 your gonna wish you had one... just my 2 cents and all im gonna say on that. by the way fishie i dont think you shouldn't change the rule/suggestion about the theme cause this is your opinion on how to help others, you way so i dont think you should have to believe in what someone else does and i agree with you that if someone doesnt like you advice well then tough cookies its cool to advise and another to tell some to change their way... all in all i love the guide for now tools aren't neccessary for me cause my case is semi-premod its a x-dreamer II and i have blue as a theme, also i cant afford to get tools now i have most of them but need a dremal, but i think maybe another part you may want to specify is measure twice cut once great advise for building anything.

also yay my first post!
    Last edited by specialsteve; 04-05-2005 at 06:27 PM.

Overclocked

Excellent point on measuring and cutting.
    -=-=-=-=-
    And remember, boys and girls, it's better to say nothing, if that's what you know.

Anodized

lol i learn that from a recent experience with a side project trying to drill holes for a case fan well now it looks all screwy but thats ok cause im cutting a window there anyway and the case was free and an experiement.

Quote Originally Posted by specialsteve
    by the way fishie i dont think you shouldn't change the rule/suggestion about the theme cause this is your opinion on how to help others, you way so i dont think you should have to believe in what someone else does and i agree with you that if someone doesnt like you advice well then tough cookies its cool to advise and another to tell some to change their way...
    specialsteve, I dont think you got the point, an opinion or advice is one thing, but fishies took it upon himself to write a guide and had the subject title nice and fancy almost sticky like trying to say this is THE guide to use. If he said this is what he would do or the way he does things I would not have said a single word. But taking it upon himself to write a guide based on his own opinions and making it seam like there is no other way to do it is wrong in my opinion. It just scares newbs away. Of the 25 or so cases I have done maybe 2 or 3 had themes to them. It would be like me writing a guide on windows and saying you must use a jigsaw, then 98% of modders who don't own one will think they cannot do a window mod. Do ya get what Im saying? I did thank him for his thoughts and opinions on the subject however, I think he mistook my reasoning for disagreeing and got a little bent out of shape.

Overclocked

my xaser case has no theme at all. I just modded stuff in it and switched out stufff. on that I agree with zed that you don't always have a theme.

Sometimes though my cases do have themes. Like the silent cat project. not many people actually know what the theme is. It started based on teh silent cat fan and then i expanded from there and I have seen many people telling me things dont go with my theme when i never even mentioned what my theme was.

im stil waiting for someone to tell me the correct answer to what the theme was for the silent cat.

muhaahhaaahahahh

Mesh makes the world go around!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Whisp
    im stil waiting for someone to tell me the correct answer to what the theme was for the silent cat.

Umm ... the theme is Man Against Nature : Silencing the roaring chaos of mother earth with umm .. NOS ... Hmm .. am I close ?

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by ZeD
    specialsteve, I dont think you got the point, an opinion or advice is one thing, but fishies took it upon himself to write a guide and had the subject title nice and fancy almost sticky like trying to say this is THE guide to use. If he said this is what he would do or the way he does things I would not have said a single word. But taking it upon himself to write a guide based on his own opinions and making it seam like there is no other way to do it is wrong in my opinion. It just scares newbs away. Of the 25 or so cases I have done maybe 2 or 3 had themes to them. It would be like me writing a guide on windows and saying you must use a jigsaw, then 98% of modders who don't own one will think they cannot do a window mod. Do ya get what Im saying? I did thank him for his thoughts and opinions on the subject however, I think he mistook my reasoning for disagreeing and got a little bent out of shape.
    Zed, I only got ent out of shape because your ignborant post dictating that you are the end all and be all of the moddong forums, by telling me you're arbitrarily editing my work. I thought you were going to drop this, but as we can all see, you're flame trolling.

If you wanted to thank me for the effort, you should have left it at that.

As so far, I have yet to see anyone else try to write a newbie guide here. I think you;re just jealous because I thought of it first.

So why not just be a good guy and drop it? Or be a dick and keep this up. The choice is yours at this stage of the game.
    -=-=-=-=-