Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying a subwoofer amp.

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

Default Re: Buying a subwoofer amp.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    The sub is listed at 90db/w/m efficiency, which is actually quite high for a subwoofer of this style.

The manual for the sub also shows enclosures too, which is nice. You'll know exactly what to build to get the best output from it. If you are going for sound quality for music purposes, go with a sealed enclosure. For home theatre, go ported. Bandpass enclosures can be the loudest, but you really sacrifice quality for output.. I'd say stick with either sealed or ported.

I think you'll do well with this combo. Dont forget the build log!
    Actually I'm going to put this speaker and the amp in a dead Logitech Z-5500 Subwoofer enclosure. I'll definitely put up a build log though.

Thanks again for the help, I'd like to give you more rep but I can't yet.

-Indybird

If the enclosure is larger than the recommended volume, be sure to add something to take up the extra space; an old phone book wrapped in tape is a good filler.

If the enclosure is too small, add some foam/fiberglass insulation to simulate a larger enclosure.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    If the enclosure is larger than the recommended volume, be sure to add something to take up the extra space; an old phone book wrapped in tape is a good filler.

If the enclosure is too small, add some foam/fiberglass insulation to simulate a larger enclosure.
    The original speaker that was in that enclosure was a 10" 188W speaker that was 5.4" deep, so I'm guessing this should fit about the same. Logitech already had some kind of fibery material in there that im guessing is for the same purpose as you are describing.

Anyway I'm gonna buy the speaker soon, and I'm ordering the amp today.

-Indybird

Custom Title Honors

If your run a car sub and amp, make sure you have a solid power supply. I was running 2 12" solobarics (square speakers) off a 2000W Amp. The power supply was rated 25A, when the subs hit hard, it would spike past. Obviously if this were constant there would be an issue, but I guess its more of an FYI. They sounded real nice though

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

I forgot to ask about the port issue:

I will mainly be using this for music, but my enclosure has a ~4" port. I have two questions:

First, if I want better lows (<40hz) and/or more responsive bass, is the port good or bad?
    Second, if I don't want the port for music, could I simply stuff it with foam?

Thanks again,
    Indybird

Ports typically let you play lower/louder than sealed enclosures, but sealed enclosures are ultimate for sound quality. Yes, you can plug the port with foam or something.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

the way that ported/sealed was explained to me was sealed was for tighter, more concise bass, (kind of like a kick drum) and ported was more boomier. So it all depends on the sound you like
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Well I got my amp in, so now I'm just waiting on my new reciever.

Another problem came up however. Though I don't plan on upgrading them any time soon, but I was researching new drivers for the surround speakers. Mind you they are currently the standard logitech speakers. Here is the exact driver they use. Now heres the part that worries me: Logitech states on their site that their surround drivers are 62W RMS @ 8 Ohms, when the driver is actually 12W RMS @ 8 Ohms.

What is going on here?
    Is logitech grossly exaggerating these speaker's power?
    Is there something else going on that I don't yet understand?

I'm mainly asking because I was about to hook these speakers up to a 70W (per channel @ 8Ohms) receiver and am now worried about damaging them if I turn it up at all.

Thanks,
    Indybird