Thread: Installing Windows 7 RC

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Installing Windows 7 RC

windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. windows must be installed to a partition formatted as ntfs.
    I'm trying to install Windows 7 RC onto my Ubuntu hard drive, but when it comes to the partition selection screen or whatever thats the error it gives me. Any help?
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Default Re: Installing Windows 7 RC

Windows recognises that there is a foreign partition, if there is no option to format, you'll have to use a tool (Gparted I think is one) to delete the partition so you can install Windows 7.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Ha, I got it working. I didn't notice the advanced options menu before. Deleted the partitions then installed perfectly.

Windows 7 is sweet! And its free until like this time June 2010.

Now I just have to figure out how to get my wireless working. Guess I need to reinstall the drivers.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Or get a long cable and plug it into the network and let windows get the drivers for you.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

I need to try installing it seeing as how I have the 64bit version downloaded. Messy HDD partitions are a nuisance...

Quote Originally Posted by crenn View Post
    Or get a long cable and plug it into the network and let windows get the drivers for you.
    Thats what I ended up doing and it downloaded the drivers automatically. Sure glad I bought that 40' cable back in the day. The only drivers it didn't DL were the audio ones, but I downloaded the XP ones from Dell and now it works fine.

So far the only issues I'm having with W7 is a bit of freezing up every now and then. Also, video playback is being a bit choppy, but that might be because they're playing from an external. I'll have to transfer them over to the main HDD and see if that helps.

The one feature that I was hoping to see was mouse-over media playback like what you find in Ubuntu where you can mouse over songs and they'll instantly start playing. Would of been a nice touch.

Shouldn't have had any trouble with the wireless. It found mine before it even got to the desktop and asked me what I wanted to do with it.