Thread: Ubuntu always running 100% processor load

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

Default Ubuntu always running 100% processor load

Ok. So I had a nasty virus on my file server so I decided to change over to Ubuntu with Samba to share with my other machines. Now I've noticed my processor now is running 100%. I the server is headless so I've been using TightVNC viewer to view the desktop and I pulled the system monitor and the processor is running 100% all the time. All the computer is doing is sitting there holding pictures from the past year. No other services yet on this, i.e ftp, web server, etc. Anybody have any ideas what might be causing this.

Oh and its Ubuntu 9.04. I think I have the 2 drives shared on all the computers, 2 running Windows 7 RC and 1 running XP. If you need more let me know.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: Ubuntu always running 100% processor load

Well, if thats true, then the system should be very noticably slow. Is it? If its not, then here's my explanation; Processors are always in 100% use, but when they are not in direct use, when the system is idling, so is the processor. Its kind of like a car, the engine is still on when its idling, its just not in direct use.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I see that in my Windows system, little hops in use even when not using the computer. But this is so much the processor fan keeps spinning up to max.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

Anodized

As I understand 'headless' means no monitor/display there on server.
    The easiest is just to plug in monitor for a while and kick top or htop command.
    This TightVNC is something that's from 'windows server' times, right?
    Why not running putty? Setup ssh on the server. Then you could pop in anytime via putty. Throw top command and see what's goin on there.

PS. If you choose to plug in monitor and you have there any DE, try ksysguard. Most clean and easy to use system monitor I've seen so far.

Code:
    ar -r God

Might be lack of graphics drivers. Sounds silly, but try it.
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bopher View Post
    But this is so much the processor fan keeps spinning up to max.
    The fan is controlled by BIOS?
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Not sure if its controlled by BIOS. Since I don't have a ton of stuff invested in this would it be better to reinstall with server because eventually I would like to try and build a web site and personal email server I can take anywhere I move to in the future.