Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910

Thread: My RepRap Build. (3d printer for those not in the know)

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: My RepRap Build. (3d printer for those not in the know)

Nope. Though I did get several large 2k1 resistors. IDK what the power rating is, but they're quite large (~1"x~1/4"dia), so either they're fairly high power rated or just old. I do still have 6 of these left though, that I could sell for $2.50 each shipped if you like.
    http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...F2%252bdhpU%3d
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Got in some parts for my extruder today. Mostly hotend stuff. Here is a teaser pic. I will post a better one and more information tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited by Oneslowz28; 07-29-2011 at 03:03 AM.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Small update before I get my ass back to work.

All of the parts needed to finish my RepRap are here, I decided after a few delays to cancel my RAMPS 1.4 order and bought a Sanguinololu PCB and ordered all of the components from DigiKey to build it. In fact I ordered enough of everything to build 3 boards total. I plan on building 2 extras and selling them to fund some cool colored plastic. I have all 5 steppers, 5 pololu stepper drivers and every connector and wire I may need. The only think thing that I do not yet have in hand is the 6 micro switches I ordered from china to use as mechanical endstops.

I have everything in for my extruder, including printed parts, hardware, hot end and nozzle. I have everything to finish the bot construction itself. I also have some experimental stuff I will be debuting on here in a few weeks.

I am still ordering a RAMPS 1.4 PCB and will use it for my experiments using it with the new chipKIT boards. So it will be entirely for experimental use. Also in the works is a SD Shield for Sanguinololu and an LCD. THis will allow me to see critical temps by just looking at the printer and not the host software. The SD card will allow me to upload the Gcode file to it and print from the card. This greatly improves print quality because there is almost 0 delay over the connection. When I get home tonight I am going to tidy up my workbench and will take some photos.

So for those of you who are curious here is some info on Sanguinololu 1.3A. Some of this info is copied from the RepRap Wiki and some I filled in. One important number I want to go ahead and put out there is the cost. The PCB's run $11 from the designer Joe Mosfet (yea his real name). The components run about $41 total putting the total cost at $52. They do the same thing as RAMPS, but do not have nearly as many extra I/O pins for further expansion. I will be able to add a LCD and a SD card but not a keypad. This is a bit of a bummer but I can live with it until I get my custom electronics up and running.

Sanguinololu 1.3A

Sanguinololu is a low-cost all-in-one electronics solution for Reprap and other CNC devices. It features an onboard Sanguino clone using the ATMEGA644P though a ATMEGA1284 is easily dropped in. Its four axes are powered by Pololu pin compatible stepper drivers.

The board features a developer friendly expansion port supporting I2C, SPI, UART, as well as a few ADC pins. All 14 expansion pins can be used as GPIO as well.

The board is designed to be flexible in the user's power source availability, allowing for an ATX power supply to power the board, or the user can chose to install the voltage regulator kit for use with any power supply 7V-30V.

Small design - board is 100mm x 50mm (4" x 2") - barely an inch longer than a business card!
    Sanguino clone, Atmel's ATmega644P - ATmega1284 drop-in compatible!!
    Up to 4 Pololu (or Pololu compatible) on-board (X,Y,Z,Extruder) (A4983 without voltage regulator)
    Supports multiple power configurations

-- Logic & Motors supplied by ATX power supply (needs molex harddrive connector, and optional 4pin atx connector for additional 12v/supply voltage)
    -- Motors supplied by 5mm screw terminal 7-35V
    -- Logic supplied by USB bus
    -- Logic supplied by optional on-board voltage regulator (molex harddrive connector cannot be installed at the same time)
    Supports multiple communication configurations
    -- FT232RL on-board for USB connectivity
    -- USB2TTL header is available for FTDI cable, or BlueSMIRF bluetooth module

2 thermistor connectors with circuitry
    2 N-MOSFETs for extruder/bed, or whatever
    Selectable 12v(or supply voltage)/5v endstop voltage
    Edge connectors enabling right-angle connections
    Silkscreen for connectors on both sides of the board, facilitating bottom cable connections
    13 Extra pins available for expansion and development - 6 analog and 8 digital, with the following capabilities

-- UART1 (RX and TX)
    -- I2C (SDA and SCL)
    -- SPI (MOSI, MISO, SCK)
    -- PWM pin (1)
    -- Analog I/O (5)

All through-hole components (except FTDI chip) for easy DIY soldering

Click for larger image

Click for larger image

Click for larger image

Sanguinololu is OSHW (open source hardware) and you can download all of the files from Joe's Git here.

I created this Mouser BoM (bill of materials) in case anyone wants to build one.

Here is one of the photos from the wiki that shows how many parts go into a sanguinololu. This looks like a double order of parts but the photo still gives you an idea of how packed that little business card sized PCB will be. Below it is a shot with out the Pololu drivers plugged in.

I am going to leave you with a video of the SMD FTDI chip being soldered on. I believe the video was shot by Joe Mosfet himself. It's not hard to solder these chips with a simi decent iron, some flux and .5mm or .6mm solder. Oh that reminds me, My Sparkfun branded soldering station (hakko 636 knock off) arrived too! 0c to 400c in less than 30 seconds is cool!

[center][center]

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

nice!

Sorry I have not been updating this. Work is killing me. I will try and write up some build logs soon but in the mean time here are some photos.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Glad to hear you have made progress on this!

Did you see my thread in the Chatterbox by chance?
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta