Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: My RepRap Build. (3d printer for those not in the know)

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: My RepRap Build. (3d printer for those not in the know)

I just read through the entire thread for the second or third time. I love this project! Its so damned cool! The parts, the assembly, the idea of being able to use the finished product to create so many things... it makes me want to build one! But alas, I am poor and can't afford it. T_T

I'm definitely going to build one some day though. I have that itch not just to own one of these babies, but to build one too. Its been a long time since I've even built something, which only adds fuel to the fire. :p

You said that these things cost around or under $400 right One? Maybe I'll use my returns next year to fund one of my own. Sure would be pretty damn cool to build and to have!

Does the cost go up very much the larger you build them? I'd love to have one big enough to "print out" a custom monitor stand/enclosure out of one piece! That'd be pretty cool! or maybe print out a laptop chassis or pc chassis... hmmm.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Actually (and at the present time I am not in the loop so to speak) scaling it up is not much more expensive. Where things get complicated is the actual printing. The larger a print is the more warp-age you will see. There are also size limits as the layer of plastic will cool too much for the next layer to print on a large print. Last I heard, there are people using heat guns, hair dryers, etc to keep the print warm and make it able to print large. The problem with that is that these printers are kinda slow. Takes just over 2 hours to print a shot glass that's 2" tall. To print a corner block for a darwin reprap it takes 11 hours. To print a scaled down model of walt disneys head it took like 15 hours IIRC.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Especially if you're gonna wait for a while, it might be worth it to look into Reprap Mendel instead of Darwin. Mendel is the next generation of the Reprap project, and is supposed to give you a larger printing surface with a smaller footprint, among other things.
    More info here: http://hackaday.com/2009/08/27/reprap-wedge/
    Mendel isn't finalized yet, but there are already some instructions on the Reprap website.
    http://reprap.org/bin/view/Main/MendelUnderDevelopment

Dang, I didn't realize it took so long to print! Two hours for a shot glass.. lol that is almost painfully slow. But, as long as it works, then who cares right? :p

What's the reason for it taking so long? Does it have to do with hardware limitations, or software? Is there anyway to speed the process up?

They need to make a laser edition model, now that'd speed things up for sure! :p
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

The limits are actual physics limitations. They have sped things up a little with some code changes and with a better extruder but its still nowhere near fast. The Mendel will be a cheaper model with a slightly larger build surface but it still requires printed parts to build. Thus the need for a friend to print parts or for you to build a repstrap like I am building. People say "oh I will just buy the parts from someone on the site" that never happens. Only a few people ever follow the rules and print parts for 2 more machines and give them away.

What if you used stronger motors and parts? or would that still not make much of a difference? Maybe they should make a more complex model, one that utilizes multiple printers but combined into one setup? Now that'd be pretty cool if possible...

How much are they thinking the price will be for one of those wedge builds? They say it's supposed to be cheaper, but how much?

And I guess I know who to go to for parts once a certain someone gets theirs finished. :p

A darwin cost just over $1000 so the mendel will be > $1000

Its not the motors or the electronics, its the temperature the whole print needs to stay at to make sure each layer sticks to the previous one.

Check out http://reprap.org

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

I always get excited over things like this! Every time I see a 3D printer I start thinking of Star Trek-esque replicators. I find it amazing that this can be done in your own home. Props for the adventurous and highly detailed worklog. I'll be keeping an eye on this from now on.
    TheMainMan

Hey guys. I know this has been kinda on the back burner for a bit but things may be picking up again. I will post an update in a few days.

sweet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER