Thread: hello question about windows 7

Custom Title Honors Liquid_Scope_99's Avatar

Default hello question about windows 7

Hello all when i installed windows 7 today which i love so far i must have missed something because i wanted to tottaly remove my xp install just do a reformat and install did i miss that somewhere i saw where it said it would put it in an windows old folder can i sue my xp disk to format and then install 7 ?
    Any info appreciated

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Default Re: hello question about windows 7

I dont think so. windows 7 won't let you upgrade from XP, you have to do a fresh install

If you wanted to format your hard drive before/as you install 7, the process is a little different than what worked for new installs of XP.

If you wish to format the drive, you have to click the Format button at the bottom of the Partition page during the Windows 7 process. When you click that you will be able to modify, create, and delete all existing partitions. In your case, you would delete any current partitions that hold XP and then proceed to install 7 on the Unpartitioned Space.

Like SXR mentioned, there is no official way to upgrade from XP. However, if you installed 7 on another partition or somehow managed to do an upgrade (there are some obscure and randomly accessible ways with beta and RC), then you can access some of your files that existed on XP.

However, if you just want a clean install of 7 and don't care about your files, all you gotta do is pay attention to the Format option in the installation screens and you're golden.
    I would really like my Thermaltake prizes... Thanks everyone for my wonderful prizes!

Thanks gusy i saw that after i posted this what i did was wrong i guess i put in my xp disk formatted the drive then restarted and then went to the windows 7 disk when i checked format in windows 7 it only took a few seconds and then installed 7 did i do it wrong or just and around about way Thanks again all

No, I think that would have worked. If you formatted the drive with the XP disk, but didn't install or copy the XP files, then installed 7 on the formatted drive it should have worked. With that method it should have only taken a few seconds for 7 to format the drive like you said.

You should have a pristine copy of 7 if you did all that.
    I would really like my Thermaltake prizes... Thanks everyone for my wonderful prizes!

Cool , Thanks a lot for the help guys +rep for all sorry for posting this in the wrong spot . i seem to have a habit of doing things backwards lol. My apoligies i will work on it if nothing happens

It was a question about OS's, so it seems like the right spot to me! The only reason I would think to post it somewhere else would be to get the question more traffic.