Thread: rotation with multiple displays in Ubuntu

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default rotation with multiple displays in Ubuntu

I've been having lots of problems with this one...
    As some of you have seen, I recently acquired another 22" widescreen panel, which I want to use turned at 90-degrees. I'm also wanting, however, to convert my main system to linux full-time, specifically Ubuntu, for the great third-party driver integration.

I'm using an nVidia card, currently a Geforce 8600 GTS, with the proprietary nvidia drivers. I would prefer to use TwinView, but I can deal with multiple X servers if I need to. I've been researching all over the net the last couple days trying to figure this out, but I can't seem to rotate just one of the displays, leaving the other non-rotated, and it actually work well. The only way that I've gotten even close is using separate X servers and the 'RandRRotation' options in xorg.conf. This gets me the rotation I want, but the lower portion of the screen is unusable and the rotated screen refreshes horribly slowly.

Default Re: rotation with multiple displays in Ubuntu

Why do you need an L-shape?
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

I want the second one vertical for coding, web browsing, and manga scanlation reading ease. Though, after a day of using one of them vertical as the primary display, I'm really starting to feel the 'vertical' viewing angle limitations of TFT panels....

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    I want the second one vertical for coding, web browsing, and manga scanlation reading ease. Though, after a day of using one of them vertical as the primary display, I'm really starting to feel the 'vertical' viewing angle limitations of TFT panels....
    Buy a bigger monitor? I mean, with the two you are going to have the same area no matter which way you flip it.

If you really, really need the monitors in this setup, I would suggest running multiple instances with virtualization.

Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    Buy a bigger monitor? I mean, with the two you are going to have the same area no matter which way you flip it.

If you really, really need the monitors in this setup, I would suggest running multiple instances with virtualization.
    The point is that a portrait orientation serves these purposes better, so while it is of course still the same area, it is arranged in a more usable fashion. I'm not sure what you're referring to when you suggest "running multiple instances with virtualization".

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    The point is that a portrait orientation serves these purposes better, so while it is of course still the same area, it is arranged in a more usable fashion. I'm not sure what you're referring to when you suggest "running multiple instances with virtualization".
    Virtualization is the ability to run multiple instances of one operating system. If your hardware is compatible, you could just run another instance of your operating system with it set to a portrait mode.

Huh, well that's definitely an..interesting application of virtualization. Props for thinking outside the box, but that would kinda defeat the entire purpose of what I'm shooting for, that being, a seamless integration with my current desktop, but rotated. I think I've got a bead on a solution, but I haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet. (It'll force me to use Xinerama instead of Twinview, but eh, whatever)