Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: estimating network/Server needs

Default Re: estimating network/Server needs

What I had in mind was to use the identical ones for the cluster, node1 + node2
    then use the third to place the two 500gb disks in to make a 500gb raid1 config or the other option was to buy a third 500gb disk and start a raid 5 off or possibly a raid 6

node 3 of the cluster could be used as the data bank. with something like freeNAS or the same os as the others. do you think it would be better to get the NAS box instead?

is there a os you would recommend? at the moment im fairly good with opensuse, dunno how beowulf would size up for the clustering. i could of gone with the win2003 because i know how to use it. but then there is the fact of price for it

how do you feel about using a synology box?

thanks agian for your information, you are helping me so much
    Basic Math:
    1 + 1 = 2
    1 * 1 = 1

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Using the 3rd box as your NAS is fine. as most OS's don't like one of the nodes having different hardware. It throws off the load balancing and becomes the systems bottleneck. I'm not sure and software is better then the other for this, as there are so many ways to set something like this up. Each way has it's pluses and minuses... none are "perfect" but many do a good job at it. If you have some software that you've used or are comfortable with stick with it, as the learning curve on some of these is steep, and the beta is really just a proof of concept... quick and cheap to bring in backers/clients.

As for Os's I'm a Windows guy, I can make Windows server dance to any music that gets played. But there is the cost, one thing you could do is look into a MSDN subscription, I think the one that gives you all the windows OS's is around $3500 and it comes with a few free support calls (worth $300 each). Other wise you'll need the enterprise version of 2k3 or 2k8 to do clustering and it's not cheap....but you should be able to do volume licensing
    that will cut down the cost (you'll need to buy the media, but it's only like $75 or so with a Volume lice. after your initial order you can add 5 client access lice at a time I want to say it's about $75 per seat...but not sure with the newer pricing from M$). You do not need to buy client lice for each server, just make sure the total client lice you have are more or equal to the max number of user you allow on the system (in this case system means both nodes together as one cluster) at one time.

I know I should learn more Linux/Unix and have been doing it but I'm not good enough to start designing systems that use more then the basic functions of it. (I still don't understand completely on how to get DNS and DHCP running and playing nice together on the same Linux box )

CBB

yeah im a windows guy too. the main and prob only reason of choosing a linux os is for the sake of cost. I know quite abit about linux, iv been learning on and off for about 3 years. thinking more im thinking of it a windows setup would be best, the thing that baffals me in the client licence. if im to buy licence for every user i support then it will be 75 for each one? it just makes it pointless if im charging a person 35 or something

or have i completely misunderstood that
    Basic Math:
    1 + 1 = 2
    1 * 1 = 1

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

you need to have licenses for the max number of user that can be on the system at one time. So if you build the system to handle 35 people you'll need 35 licenses. Even if you have 500 paying users, the system can only handle 35 users at a time so you only need 35 lices.... make since???

(I'm out of town so it may take some time for me to reply... I'm checking don't worry I haven't forgot about you )

CBB

yeah, i tought it would be like that, thats no problem.
    dont worry about me while your away. enjoy youself if you can xD

im too away at my mums so im doing more theory atm

iv also came up with a business name called

save our stuff, so its goes down to SOS
    Basic Math:
    1 + 1 = 2
    1 * 1 = 1