Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: aspire one w/ windows getting "sluggish"

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Default Re: aspire one w/ windows getting "sluggish"

The latest ubuntu release should cover the wireless chipset in your AAO out of the box, I know it will cover the chipset in my EEE 1000HD, and iirc they're the same chipset.

That solves that problem.

As far as video chat goes, I've got nothing. maybe see if there are linux drivers for your model webcam? or is the cam built in?

As far as getting more speed out of windows, short of what you're already doing, all I can suggest is a re-install of the OS, then very carefully watch what programs you put on the rig. I try not to give my Eee too much data to sift through to do anything and I have no speed problems (hell, I even use it at LAN parties to play WC3)

-Mike

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Quote Originally Posted by Kumo View Post
    ...Check the last versión of Ubuntu network...
    I mean Ubuntu Network Remix, not full Ubuntu

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kumo View Post
    I mean Ubuntu Network Remix, not full Ubuntu
    I thought about it but wasn't sure If I wanted the netbook remix or Regular Ubuntu. Id have to look in to the differences between the two.
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

Maybe the core is tweaked, but main differences at first glance are the new panel/desktop organization and icons; and smaller footprint on SSD.

If you finally install it, tell us about it.

I prefer regular Ubuntu over UNR because it seems to hold up better. If you are wanting to maximize your SSD life, then just manually partition it to Ext2 or Ext4 (Ext3 has far more writes than do the other filesystems).
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

i'm not using an SSD so I'll probalby go w/ full ubuntu. I like having a full desktop.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm not sure when I'll get around to this. have to read up on dual booting. Can anyone comment on how hard it is? I know how to partition my drive, and I know I need to install windows first.

If I partition my drive and install windows, and then tell ubuntu to install in the second partition will it take care of everything else for me or will I have to mess w/ the MBR and the GRUB by hand to get it working properly? Anyone know how difficult it is?

Quote Originally Posted by luciusad2004 View Post
    i'm not using an SSD so I'll probalby go w/ full ubuntu. I like having a full desktop.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm not sure when I'll get around to this. have to read up on dual booting. Can anyone comment on how hard it is? I know how to partition my drive, and I know I need to install windows first.

If I partition my drive and install windows, and then tell ubuntu to install in the second partition will it take care of everything else for me or will I have to mess w/ the MBR and the GRUB by hand to get it working properly? Anyone know how difficult it is?
    It's extremely easy. You can set the partition of Windows in the Install section of Ubuntu. It automatically configures GRUB as well.
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

thanks, Maybe I'll download Ubuntu's latest release tonight and install sometime in the next couple days. (I'm probably gonna put it off because installing windows from a flash drive is a pain in the butt lol)