Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clearneon UV Paint

Overclocked

Default Clearneon UV Paint

I like subterfuge and misdirection. To hide something just from casual view, until momentously that something is revealed. That's why I had to try out the clearcoat UV reactive paint from http://www.clearneon.com/. The thought of having the inside chassis one colour, then hit the UV and BAM! another colour, different from the first, screaming out for attention made me almost wet myself. Chameleon paints are one thing, but this could be something else.

Being the obstinant * censor* that I am, I called them directly. I wanted to know where the closest point of purchase was to my location. I was looking for a Canadian Address. According to The Guidebook to Poor Customer Satisfaction, it is imparative the customer, whether new or repeat be told the closest location is the farthest location, and that you do not know anything closer, because, quite frankly, you don't know where "someplace, nowhere" is. Furthermore, if the customer wants to buy direct, it will have to be done on a 24 case minimum, and it's only through accounting we can set the customer up. Place on hold and forget.

I decided I would find another location to buy from. I bought the UV Orang and UV Blue. We'll go over each colour here.

After I painted my target with a base colour and let dry, I then applied 3 coats of the blue, drying between coats. To my surprise, what showed up on my target piece wasn't what I expected. BAM! Neon something, a washed out blue, mostly white, but very neon. Ok. maybe I put it on the wrong colour... Upon closer inspection, I could see it was not in fact completely clear. The brightness from my base colour was dulled by this neon clear. It's not THAT bad, but I could really tell.

My second piece, I did a little different. I applied the coats, but I applied more coats - four to be precise. The orange UV made the base colour ghost glow orange. The base is visible through a coating of orange juice. That's what it looks like to me. I'm either going to have to sand down the piece, and reapply the base colour and forget about the neon, or apply more coats.

It would have been nice to have the clear go on in a coloured form and dry clear. Painting under a black light holds little interest with me, but it's really the only way to apply this stuff.

Anything under the clear, i.e., dust, dirt, Jimmy Hoffa, are very visible in neon mode.

I would recommend this product if you had a lot of money to waste and smaller parts to neon, as a can will not do a case, and 2 barely do the job.

PROS:
    Proper colour matching gives off bright neon

CONS:
    Not all colours are compatible
    Product sales/support people are dumb
    Expensive for larger applications
    Leaves visible residue of neon reactive material
    Shows any dirt or defect in base paint
    The paint comes of most surfaces with doap and water. Clearcoat must be applied after to lock it down.

Purchase at your own risk.

----

Holy * censor * I only swore once there. Do you know how mad I was when I saw the results of the orange? I was * censor * * censor * * censor * * censor * * censor *......

I'll post images of the victims once I get my digicam from the wife.
    Last edited by fishies; 04-03-2005 at 11:51 PM.
    -=-=-=-=-
    When computers collide, Bob is born
    And remember, boys and girls, it's better to say nothing, if that's what you know.

That stuff really is slick, I wouldnt mind some of those paintings, I wouldnt however paint a wall with it since I dont have large blacklights (disco is thankfully dead, even if Paul still has the fever) But it would be cool to have those night and day effects like some of the previews they had on the site. FYI you can get those sprays from performance-pcs.com aswell, they are pretty cheap and they come out looking pretty good if you make sure to lay it on nice and thick.

Overclocked

Did you even read my review? I in fact, bought my paint from performance-pcs, as stated above.

You need to do some reading before you start posting.

If anyone here has actually used colours other than blue and orange, I would like to hear of your experiences.
    -=-=-=-=-
    And remember, boys and girls, it's better to say nothing, if that's what you know.

Quote Originally Posted by fishies
    Did you even read my review? I in fact, bought my paint from performance-pcs, as stated above.

If anyone here has actually used colours other than blue and orange, I would like to hear of your experiences.
    WHERE???? I re-read it a second time after your mention even hitting control F to search for any mention of performance-pcs or performance and only mine came up. And I've used green and it came out very well.

Overclocked

You are correct. I did at first have that location, however, I am not one to endorse one store over another, unless I'm paid to do so, and I don't like to play favorites. My bad. sorry

As for the green, that's great. Did you clearcoat over top to lock it down? The orange was wiping off like mad to the touch.
    -=-=-=-=-

Quote Originally Posted by fishies

You must be drinking your own urine again. I dont see mention of where you bought it either.

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky
    You must be drinking your own urine again. I dont see mention of where you bought it either.
    Actually, it was mescaline. I wrote it with perf.pc in the review, and took it out, as mentionned above. Little slow on the uptake, Crimson. Didn't drink your red-bull this morning?
    -=-=-=-=-

Overclocked

I have used the clearneon for green and it was a bit yellowish. I did about 5 coats and didn't use a clear coat and everything is fine. If i have to clean the fans might be an issue though but I did fans and i didnt want to much paint on them since already had primer, then a coat of silver. I like how it is invisible until uv is on.

Mesh makes the world go around!!!!

The fans look really good. I may have to pick me some of this paint up.
    How did you come to trade the fiddle for the drum?

Overclocked

Just don;t try the orange. It's absolute garbage
    -=-=-=-=-