Hello one and all. Yes I am back modding again but this is only a short rebuild of my original mod "Project: LEXA" (see link in sig for worklog).
As some of you may know about 3 months after completing LEXA my mobo died on me. I went through a lot of trouble trying to get a new one (DFI majorly screwed me around) and after about another 2 months of waiting I was rewarded a replacement. You can read more about that ordeal here:
However this was not the only problem I faced. I had to remove my water cooling from my case to allow me to get to my mobo so I decided I would clean my blocks so they would be nice and fresh when the time came to rebuild. Lucky I checked my blocks because my Swiftech Apogee GTX CPU block top had already started to corrode, after only 3 months of usage. This really annoyed me but Swiftech were kind enough to offer me either another Alu or Delrin block top as a replacement for free, naturally I took the Delrin top. You can read about this here:
While my PC was in pieces I got thinking "how can I make LEXA better?". The answer to me was quite simple actually, upgrade some hardware and fix some stuff I wasn't quite happy with in the original mod.
First thing on the agenda was my RAM. I used to have 4x1GB sticks of G.Skill RAM with the OCZ RAM cooler that I had modded cooling them. The issues with this set up was that generally 4x1GB sticks of RAM usually don't OC as well as 2x2GB sticks. The 4x1GB sticks also ran quite hot forcing me to use the RAM cooler which interfered with my WC. So I said stuff it and decided to order some new RAM.
Thanks to nevermind1534 I am now the proud owner of a 4GB (2x2GB) OCZ Reaper RAM kit (thanks for sending it over for me buddy . So here is the RAM:
And here is a comparison between a Reaper and my old RAM:
The next thing on my upgrade list was a new HDD. My WD 320GB drive was very full so I decided to purchase a new drive to store all my media and games on, this would allow me to use the 320GB drive for my OS until I get around to getting a Raptor or an SSD for my OS drive. This is the HDD I got myself:
Yep that's right, it's a Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB HDD:
Well that's all the upgrades I did for now. I am currently planning on getting rid of my Gen1 Logitech G15 because I can't stand the clacky keys with so much give since I have been using my laptop while LEXA has been down. I am looking at upgrading to the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, the keys are still backlit which I like but it is missing the quite useless LCD and all those macro keys, it is also much smaller with laptop style keys, perfect for me. I am also intending to eventually upgrade from my 19" LCD to a 24" LCD but cash is a bit tight at the moment, damn recession lol.
Ok so what else is new you say? Well I decided to replace the stock LEXA window with a fresh piece of plexi, one that is unscratched, had no mold marks and has no fan grill.
Here is the original window:
Here is an example of the mold marks that I mentioned earlier:
This is the fresh piece of plexi all marked for cutting:
Here is a shot of the window cut out and ready to be drilled:
When screwing the silver plastic window accents back into the side panel I accidentally overtightened one, this lead to a pretty cool piece of detail:
I did this to all 9 screws used to hold the accent pieces on.
Here is a shot of the now finished window:
And a shot of the installed window accents:
I also removed the rear fan grill and am currently modding the HDD cover panel for use with 2 HDDs.
Now it's time for the rebuild.
This time around I chose to ditch my Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II cooler for the North Bridge and stick with the stock DFI one. "Your crazy" you must be thinking lol so I will let the pics speak for themselves:
Yep, the cooler on the left is the Tt Exteme Spirit II and the cooler on the right is the stock DFI cooler with an added 60mm fan, can you guess which one performs better? LOL. The DFI stock cooler can slightly beat the Tt cooler when run passively, with the fan it is much better.
Just thought I'd throw in a shot of the mobo with the new RAM and CPU block installed:
I think it looks bad ass lol .
Here is all the tech installed the WC loop completed:
Yeah I know the hoses are powdery but I didn't have the cash for new hose and it still looks the same under UV light.
Here are some more random shots of the loop:
Time for the leak test:
No leaks after testing for 48 hours but I did accidentally over fill my bay res which spilled over the HDDs, they are ok though.
All wired up and ready to go:
New side panel installed just for a looksie :
The last thing I have to do is modify the HDD cover and LEXA can go back to work, I just need to find a few hours of spare time and we are in business.
Oh and after I have finished I am gonna need your help with OCing my Q6600, it wont go past 2.69GHz on stock volts and when I crank the volts nothing happens , oh well I will cross this bridge when I get there. Until then...