Page 1 of 17 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Iron Behemoth renamed Project: Scintillation

Default Iron Behemoth renamed Project: Scintillation

Hey everyone. I've been wandering around this site for about the last month now, and I'd like to say, I am extremely impressed with the level of work I have seen on this forum. I especially love the improvization and the utilization of items and tools for uses other than they were intended. Anyhow, this site has been a great inspiration for me and I wanted to thank everyone for that. So, on with the worklog...

I was browseing through newegg.com a few weeks ago, daydreaming about all the hardware that I would love to have, and scheming of ways to get it. For some reason I thought I'd check out the cases, probably from boredom, when I came across this...

Overall, she's lookin pretty good, and I just loved the 2 250mm fans on her side. I took a closer look and said to myself, wouldn't it be cool to setup my radiator in that door? Ohhh, and then install an actuator to have the door open upwards!! Sweet So after coersing my wife with jedi mind tricks into letting me spend $130 bucks on something I was going to start cutting up and drilling holes into, I finally got it. And away we go...

I have made some progress already and have been taking lots of pictures along the way. I will update you all later tonight with the project's pics. I gotta go cook dinner for my wife (her jedi mind tricks) and I'm still paying for that case.... .

Till then. Mod on mutha f(#*$^(#ers

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Default Re: Unnamed First True Custom Mod

thats all what ive got to say

Quote Originally Posted by FrooP View Post

thats all what ive got to say
    i second that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

Lmao, I agree too.

Great case man.

Current Project: n/a (Coming real soon though)

To start I removed the all the side pieces off the side door of the case, and drew out a bracket design on some plexi glass.

After a couple of attempts, I finally got the f'ing bracket cut out. Jig saws don't work too well on thin plexiglass. I chose to use a thinner plexi to leave the smallest amount of cutting in the case.

The 1st failure and the second success (kind of)

Not too thrilled with the inexactness, will probably end up redoing this later.

Here I am modding an old PS I had laying around to be used to power all the CCFLs, fans, LEDs, and actuator. I'm trying to leave as few wires visible as possible.

So I moved all the wire to the bottom of the board.

Next I would like to keep the PS from shorting on the top of the case, so I created some standoffs

Created the standoffs from the posts on the power supply's fan

I also started cutting the plexi for the top of my case. Will post those in a bit...

Looks Preddy good so far. .
    You should take some more pictures of the case for a before and after.

Ok, here you go...

First the old case. You can see why I needed to change it. I was in a hurry with this case, so it's a bit banged up. That won't be the case with the new one. I will be using all of the hardware from it, cooling system, mobo, cpu, vid cards, etc....

And the new one... I will paint a coat or 2 of blue UV reactive paint on the inside of the case. Full tower, lots of room.

Thinking about covering the front with a nice piece of shiny, buffed out, mirror finish aluminum. I'm going to leave that shiny black strip though. Would like to incorporate some lights, ooh... or maybe a small tft on the front. I dunno. Your suggestions are more than welcome.

Here's a quick sketch of what I had in mind...
    Sorry guys, I don't have sketchup, nor can I afford to purchase a $500 license.

The swoosh type shape type thingy do at the top of the case was there only for insiration. Personally I think it sucks. But I do want the insides of my case a bit more visible. I'd like to incorporate some nice tubing as cable wraps, and I want it to be seen.

The tribal shapes (dunno what else to call them) on the side of the case where the 250mm used to be is definitely staying and not changing. Problems though... Not sure what to cut the shapes out of. I was thinking styrene, then maybe putting some mesh behind the styrene for looks and support. I don't have alot of tools, so some of yous out there with the water jets; if you are willing to help, I'm willing to pay. I really want to keep the sharp miter of the points.

The top addition to the case will be mad of plexi with stryrene for borders. Inside the addition, I will house the 2nd PS, and the wireless pci card, all the buttons & switches I'll use will be placed here as well.
    Last edited by Remy; 08-02-2007 at 01:55 AM. Reason: sketch

Here are the pictures of the top addition's side. All in all, considering the tools I have to work with, I think they came out great. I'm very pleased with the outcome.

My first attempt...

Failed and injured. Nothing too bad though. Had plenty of plexi left to make what I needed and the injury.... I been scratch worse by cats.

And the final outcome. I needed to get all the sides smooth and even, and when I got tired of filing by hand, I thought...

the outcome...

Worked great. I'll try to have some more for ya'all later

Mod On Mother F@#%$#*&%#*kers!!
    Last edited by Remy; 08-02-2007 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Fogot the final pic. oops

Those black pieces look perfect! I like the tribal design. But you dont need water-cutting to do this. With a jigsaw / fretsaw you can get the sharp corners by handwork. If its styrene and not steel you can cut it like butter. How did you cut the black pieces? And what kind of material is it?
    My CaseCons:

-=| The Orb |=- - - -=| CUBE 2 |=- - - -=| Reactor |=-

How did you cut the black pieces? And what kind of material is it?
    The black pieces are styrene. A simple straight edge and an exacto knife worked like a charm. This is the first time I've worked with the stuff and I truley love it. It's so easy to work with. Plus, when I was making my cuts with the exacto knife, I didn't have to go all the way through the sheet. Wen about half way into the sheet, bent the plastic a little, and perfect breaks were made along my cuts.

I will be using this stuff alot more in this project. It's actually not too expensive either.