Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turning an old Compaq into a new mod?

Default Turning an old Compaq into a new mod?

Hi all,

This is my first time on this forum, i was wondering if anyone could help me locate drive brackets for an old computer? I have an old compaq that hasnt been used in forever. It has 2 5.25 bays, 1 floppy bay, and 2 3.25 bays. I am missing drive brackets for the two 5.25 bays and 1 3.25 bay. Ive tried to newegg and ebay and google these pieces but nothing seems to come up. Does anyone know where i can find these parts?

Default Re: Turning an old Compaq into a new mod?

Welcome to TBCS!

Post up a picture if you have one or a model number of the computer.

The place I go for spare drive brackets is really close to me and it is called Weird Stuff Warehouse. They have a couple of bins full of various drive sleds and brackets...
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

the computer is an old presario S5200CL. I will post pictures when i get home and charge my camera. Thanks

The last picture is of the one remaining 3.5 bracket that i have

Thanks for the link Airbozo, the store has replacement parts for compaqs but they dont have any drive sleds. I was told by a friend that the drive sled/bracket thing is probably proprietary and i probably wont be able to get another.

Quote Originally Posted by SinCrisis View Post

The last picture is of the one remaining 3.5 bracket that i have

Thanks for the link Airbozo, the store has replacement parts for compaqs but they dont have any drive sleds. I was told by a friend that the drive sled/bracket thing is probably proprietary and i probably wont be able to get another.
    Even though they don't list any sleds, they probably have some in the bins.

If you could post up a couple of detailed photos, I can go over there and take a peek for you. I am headed there next week looking for some odd pieces to use in my Bubble gum machine mod. Hell I even have some old Compaq's sitting in our warehouse and I will go look to see if they have the sleds in them.

EDIT: Just a shot of the front would help...

upon further inspection, im beginning to think i can mount the drives using special compaq screws? I ordered a pack of those and if it works then im good. I guess i need to wait a couple of days?

Also i am supernoob when it comes to modding, ive only built my own rig once, and that required no modding, just installing. I want to paint this case black, would common spray paint work?

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    Welcome to TBCS!

Post up a picture if you have one or a model number of the computer.

The place I go for spare drive brackets is really close to me and it is called Weird Stuff Warehouse. They have a couple of bins full of various drive sleds and brackets...

\Sorry to go off topic

This site is awesome!! I can buy P3 motherboards for my cluster extremely cheap!
    It's like JFK announcing the moon mission. He had no expertise in space travel, and no way of knowing if it would work. He just announced "we're going to the moon" and then they made it happen because everyone was on the same page and working towards the same goal. If he had said "well, let's get some people in space, and we'll see how far out we can get, and if I find someone to make a rocket strong enough, we could possibly approach the moon's orbit and maybe land" it wouldn't have happened.

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knowledgegranted View Post
    \Sorry to go off topic

This site is awesome!! I can buy P3 motherboards for my cluster extremely cheap!
    That Tyan Thunder looks interesting. That might be the one to buy. I'm thinking of ordering some now. If you need any socket 370 CPUs, you know where to get them (me).
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

O.o as for paint... can anyone help me on that? I googled for it but im reading that i need primer among other equipment to paint a case?

Quote Originally Posted by SinCrisis View Post
    O.o as for paint... can anyone help me on that? I googled for it but im reading that i need primer among other equipment to paint a case?
    I'm not a master at painting cases, but if the current finish is ok, you can just sand it down a little to remove the gloss and paint right over it with a rattle can.