Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Streetfighter, my bike build.

Default Streetfighter, my bike build.

Before I got into modding PC's my main passion in life was motorcycles I've been mad about them since i was a kid and got my first one when I was eleven and I went on to train as a motor vehicle tech so I could eventually work just on bikes, I've owned, built and customized many bikes and this is the latest.
    I did have a website with the details of this build but since I moved ISP's I no longer have any free web space and as I'm too tight to pay for it the site is down but while I'm waiting for some PC parts I thought I would post some shots of my last bike build, yeah, I'm bored

The bike started out as a Yamaha FZX750 (called a Fazer and 700cc in the USA) it was a bit tatty and definitely needed a make over so I decided to make it into a streetfighter, basic lean and mean that's all about go rather than show with no flash paint and loads of chrome just satin black paint, kind of Mad Max style.

I stripped the bike down completely and fitted the front forks from a FZR1000 Yamaha because the standard FZX750 forks are a bit spindly and flex and the front wheel is a small 16" which doesn't help the handling and there are not many decent 16" tyres that fit it, the FZR1000 fork legs are stronger with a bigger diameter with a 17" wheel and big brake discs with four piston calipers, a billet alloy top fork yoke was fitted with short risers and flat anodized gold bars.

The tailpiece is from an R1 Yamaha 1000 it was bought cheap because it was cracked but some fibreglass and filler sorted that.

I made a new tank top from fibreglass which is a dummy tank top and cut two holes in it for the air filters to come up through.

The most expensive item was the stainless steel exhaust system, ouch, but it still cleans up like new after nearly 6 years and was worth the money.

Finally the complete back end from a Yamaha XJR 1200 was fitted which has a much bigger and stronger alloy swinging arm and a 17" wheel, this replaces the original 15" wheel which is even harder to find a decent tyre for than the 16" front!

I fitted a set of FZR1000 carbs and a Dynojet jet kit which took a while to get the jetting right but gives the motor more mid range torque and the bike pulls like a train, I've used the bike for about 6 years and it been very reliable which is more than some of the PC's I've built

Default Re: Streetfighter, my bike build.

That's sick. There's just something about bikes....I dunno, they're awesome.
    Please read the TOS regarding links in signatures. We don't take kindly to that sort of thing. -The Mods

SWEET!!! Really like the style. I've got a '79 Kawasaki KZ650 that I want to do Mad Max style.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Very nice...though I imagine it must be a little awkward with the air filters poking up in your chest. Beautiful result though, I love the matte black look, and the extended tailpiece makes it look a lot lower-slung than it really is; hurrah for function before form I've got a (relatively) little old 1980 Honda CM400T (yay for historic vehicles having way less paperwork to deal with ). It that works just fine for now, but once I get a garage again, I want to do a fully electric build...put an in-wheel motor in the back and stuff batteries wherever I can get away with...

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Very nice...though I imagine it must be a little awkward with the air filters poking up in your chest.
    Your right, It would be a problem with very low clip-on bars but I'm not into back breaking riding positions anymore which is why I fitted the flat bars on risers but they proved to be a bit too low so I changed them to some higher motoX type bars which are quite comfortable, the most notable thing about having the air filters there is the intake noise over about 40mph they really start to roar and over about 50mph you can't hear the exhaust at all and even though the exhaust is legal it's not that quiet, many people don't believe that the filters are connected to the motor so I say "Put your ear to the filter" and blip the throttle...point proved

You mentioned building an electric bike and if you followed the Ilse of Man TT racing this year you will have seen the worlds first electric bike race the TTXGP with fifteen all-electric bikes from all over the world, it looked strange with virtually no noise but they weren't hanging around!
    There's more about it here and a video http://www.ttxgp.com/

I think this guy thought it was a LAN party and brought his PC but you've got to love the pioneers of new tech.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beta-brain View Post
    You mentioned building an electric bike and if you followed the Ilse of Man TT racing this year you will have seen the worlds first electric bike race the TTXGP with fifteen all-electric bikes from all over the world, it looked strange with virtually no noise but they weren't hanging around!
    Heheh, yeah, that's the fun thing about electric motors; since they have maximum torque at 0 rpm, they blow conventional acceleration expectations out of the water. Case in point, the Tesla Roadster...~1.5 tons, but goes from 0-60 in 3.9 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Beta-brain View Post
    Yeah, that's just about the sexiest bike of all time.

+REP.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Nice work!

I just got my sportster back from an engine modification (89" big bore kit, racing cams, crankshaft, Supertrapp SS exhaust, Forcewinder intake, fram modification, etc...).

I am now in the process of getting rid of all the chrome and going for a similar look.

Speaking of electric bikes;
    http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/?_kk=...FRIcawodbmNGow

Just a stones throw from my house...

RE: Tesla roadster;
    My brother in law's company has the contract for the service manual and test/repair equipment for Tesla and he has ridden in the Roadster a couple of times. He said it is the most fun he has ever had in a street legal car, second only to the rides he got back in Briton in a Lamborghini on a test track (not a street legal machine). He is hoping to actually drive one himself soon. I told him I would go along as his post sales engineer and hope for a ride...
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Thanks for all your comments glad you like it, now all I've got to do is get over the vertigo and balance problems I've had for about eight months and hopefully I can ride it again it's also why the work and posting on my PC mod stopped but I've got some new meds which actually seem to be helping so at least the modding has restarted.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Yeah, that's just about the sexiest bike of all time.

+REP.
    except for maybe the GoldWing!

I think you did an excelent job, but i've always loved the goldwing, i plan on getting a trike version so i can drive on my car licence

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!