Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo Sensei

Modding the World, One Case at a Time Boddaker's Avatar

Default Lenovo Sensei

Hey everyone, I was chosen as one of the top 4 designs, along with slipperyskip and jj_sky5000, to compete in Lenovo's Mod Contest! Here is my concept/idea:

The Lenovo Sensei is an A700 IdeaCentre with a built-in HD projector underneath, creating an indispensable teaching aid that could replace the age-old dusty chalkboard. Having both components integrated together would enable the teacher to instruct his or her class more dynamically. Assignments could be projected onto a large screen or wall in front of the class. The teacher could run education software, play videos & DVDs, and keep track of all the students' progress, all in one compact unit. Think of it as the chalkboard of the future! Features include:

* 23" widescreen LCD monitor with Touch Screen capability
    * Slot load blu ray drive
    * Integrated DLP projector 1280 x 800 Resolution
    * Hybrid laser/led technology, 3 low wattage power modes
    * HDMI connection between A700 and projector
    * Well-ventilated housing to keep system cool
    * Cabling kept to a minimum, with only power cords emerging out of unit
    * Buttons on projector relocated as well as other I/O ports to maintain functionality

With everything that the all-in-one Lenovo A700 offers, paired with the detailed display capabilities of the DLP projector, the teaching possibilities are virtually endless!

Here is the A700 set up on my desk. Came with wireless keyboard, mouse, and an air remote control.

Removing the back panel, you can see the slot load blu ray drive and the computer cover.

Taking the computer cover off reveals the hard drive enclosure and the motherboard. I was surprised to see a full-size drive and not an SSD.

Here is the DLP projector I'll be integrating. It's a Casio A240. I chose it for it's low profile and energy efficient lighting system. It has 3 power modes: 270W (Eco Off) / 190W(Eco On Level 1) / 130W(Eco On Level 2)

Rough placement of the projector, centering the lens with the A700.

I'll take some measurements from here, and construct a cardboard template of the new base that will house both components. I've been doing some design mockups in Sketchup, so once I finalize that, I'll post up some preview pics.
    Thanks for looking, and good luck to the other modders!
    Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Default Re: Lenovo Sensei

nice!

More importantly here.... how is it for gaming???

jk

Nice idea. It could make you millions!! Please remember us "little people".
    Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid. - John Wayne

Great idea. I know a couple of teachers who could definitely benefit from this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Awesome! Congrats on the contest win.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by BS Mods View Post
    More importantly here.... how is it for gaming???

jk

Nice idea. It could make you millions!! Please remember us "little people".
    lol we did play a few "Wii style" games that came with it, using the air remote, but I haven't gotten the chance to install anything decent.

Quote Originally Posted by msmrx57 View Post
    Great idea. I know a couple of teachers who could definitely benefit from this.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Awesome! Congrats on the contest win.
    Thanks, but I haven't won yet lol. I just got in the top 4. The winner will be whoever gets the most votes, and will get to go to Vegas for CES in January where Lenovo will showcase the winning mod.
    Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

I meant getting into the top 4 Either way, congrats!
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

pretty much what everyone has said already. word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Man I'm glad I'm not in school still, imagine that your teacher being able to see you slacking off doodling lol .

Anti slacking features aside though it's an awesome piece of teaching tech though & congrats for getting picked & good luck winning .

Gotta sub to this interesting mod .

Figuring out the internal cabling... The IO board on the Lenovo plugs into a slot on the motherboard and sticks straight up. This will not do at all, since the Sensei lies flat now, rendering the ports inaccessible from the bottom.

Here is the connection between the IO board and the motherboard. As luck would have it, it's the same as a PCI-express x8 slot.

So I managed to find a PCI-express x8 extension cable.

With the extension cable, I can lay the IO board flat so I can plug in the hdmi cable directly in line with the projector. I would have liked to point all the ports towards the edge, regaining accessibility to everything, but then I have a problem getting the hdmi cable from there back in to the projector.

So this way it will remain internal and go kinda sorta thusly..

However, the full-size drive and it's bracket is in the way, so it will be replaced in favor of a more compact SSD.

Now the IO board can lay even lower.

As for all the other ports on the IO board, the only ones I will need to access besides the hdmi are the power and ethernet, for which I can conjure up extension cables and relocate to the sides. I won't be needing the cable jack, the composite video ports, or the hdmi in, and I can utilize the usb ports for some added internal drive space. They won't be missed since there are two additional usb ports on the side, along with eSATA, firewire, and memory card slot.

Here's a quick cardboard mockup of the base I whipped up to get an idea of size and where the projector will be mounted.