Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PROJECT:Tyderium

Fresh Paint

Default PROJECT:Tyderium

OK here we go. Project Tyderium is to be my first case mod, I have this idea in my head that just wont leave me alone( I get real OCD that way some times, drives my wife nuts ) so I have to at least try.

I have the basic Idea on paper and on my next day off i am going to start doing some cardboard mock ups with a model and some old hardware for scale and fitment. got an old case that will provide MOBO tray and HDD cage the rest will be made from scratch.

I have a few of what i consider large hurdles .i.e getting the wings to fold up( as this will be their position unless it is opened to get in the case) the cockpit to open for the cd tray, hiding the hinges to make things accessible, the lighting, but that's why there's a forum right.

Any and all comments/tips welcome. I work 7 on 7off so updates will come in chunks but they should be good when they do.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default Re: PROJECT:Tyderium

When it comes to hidden hinges, assuming you have the thickness in the material, not much beats kitchen cabinet hinges for price/strength/durability.... I'll stick my nose in more as ya progress :p

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

WWMD- What Would MacGyver Do? Mark_Hardware's Avatar

ugh hidden hinges. Often saught after but can be suuuuuch a pita to facilitate. G/L!
    My name is Mark Hardware, and I approved this message.

Project; Mark1
    (On hold until......)

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Yup - I need at least 2 for K-9 - will be looking to see if there's any way I can get away with the kitchen cabinet ones but I'm not optomistic....

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

cool idea. one of my favorite ships from star wars
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

heres an idea for the wing hinges might not be what your lookin for since it wont be totaly hidden but i think it could look authentic
    isnt that hard to make either if your interested let me know and ill put together a little how to for ya
    "it only takes one voice to start a revolution"

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by raistnox View Post
    heres an idea for the wing hinges might not be what your lookin for since it wont be totaly hidden but i think it could look authentic
    isnt that hard to make either if your interested let me know and ill put together a little how to for ya
    that is almost exactly what I was what I was thinking about, so ya any info would be greatly appreciated. It really doesn't need to be hidden so much as incorporated into the design. you are totally able to see the hinges for the wings in the original.

its really simple to make these kind of hinges all you need to do is wrap a peice of sheet metal around a steel dowel rod clamp the 2 ends into a vice give it some taps with a hammer to get the shape really round then rivet the flap closed heres a closer view of how it goes together

actually after looking around i found a closer picture of the hinge system on the original and think that my design wont really work as is but can be adapted ill see if i can put together a cad drawing for ya

here ya go