Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Planning Project: OSIDIAS (SFF taken to the extreme)

Sexy Hot Nurse ..... NOT!! b4i7's Avatar

Default Re: Planning Project: OSIDIAS (SFF taken to the extreme)

dude... you havent even started building this and i already want it

absolutely amazing design.... youve got my gears turning for a portable for DJing

Quote Originally Posted by intergalacticman View Post
    stunning, how does one tap a hole?

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Holy ****! How did I miss this one? How freaking awesome looking. This definitely needs to be built! or sold to a company that won't fudge it up so I can buy one. lol

Even if you don't build it, you have some very sexy designs on your hands, so I do hope you go through with it! Very impressive in any case.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Wow! This is Great. Really like the designs.
    One impressive small form factor unit for sure. +Rep

Quote Originally Posted by AntraxLife View Post
    hehe, youre really looking forward to doing it aint ya?
    well, youre not the only one then.
    btw you got a price tag on the carbon fibre?

-AnthraxLife
    Without a doubt!

The CF isn't really that bad... it's around $40 per yard at 50" wide. Well, 'that bad' may be relative, but I though it would cost more. I'll likely only have around $200 worth of CF in the build. If I were to use large aluminum sheets at 2mm thick, it really would be that much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by b4i7 View Post
    dude... you havent even started building this and i already want it

absolutely amazing design.... youve got my gears turning for a portable for DJing
    Haha, thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    Holy ****! How did I miss this one? How freaking awesome looking. This definitely needs to be built! or sold to a company that won't fudge it up so I can buy one. lol

Even if you don't build it, you have some very sexy designs on your hands, so I do hope you go through with it! Very impressive in any case.
    It will most definitely be built. I've accumulated a majority of the parts already. In fact, I'm ready to go once I finish up another current project.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclecticos View Post
    Wow! This is Great. Really like the designs.
    One impressive small form factor unit for sure. +Rep
    Thanks! I really tried for something unique and different this time around. In fact, I'm even contemplating a matching NAS box to go with it...

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowHunter
    dude, stop trying to create Skynet. at this point, the scale goes - metric tons of awesome < epic < overkill < you

As the beginning of this project gets closer, I've been receiving a steady stream of parts and materials. Of those parts and materials, the carbon fiber is probably the most integral. With it, I'm hoping to take what I hope is a pretty cool concept to begin with, and take it to the next level. While there are many cases made of aluminum or even wood, a case constructed of carbon fiber is a much rarer occurrence. Fellow modders Langer, MKmods, jhanlon303, and rendermandan, have all worked with it in some capacity, and I owe them credit for inspiring me to use it here as well. With that in mind, I went ahead and ordered an orange carbon fiber/kevlar blend. This particular fiber will be used for the side panels and ribs on OSIDIAS.

So, without further delay...

And one more pic...

More to come!

dude, stop trying to create Skynet. at this point, the scale goes - metric tons of awesome < epic < overkill < you

ATX Mental Case

that carbon fiber looks amazing!

wauw.... the price is great for CF altho the price tag overall i woulndt pay till i got it can you send me a pm when you start building this B-E-A-uty
    wouldnt want to miss it for gold!
    Im Dutch... can i say anything else?!?

Quote Originally Posted by taintedplay View Post
    that carbon fiber looks amazing!
    Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by AntraxLife View Post
    wauw.... the price is great for CF altho the price tag overall i woulndt pay till i got it can you send me a pm when you start building this B-E-A-uty
    wouldnt want to miss it for gold!
    Thank you! Sure, I can PM you. Expect it to start in a month or so.

Now, this is completely off-topic, but how many of you have visited my site lately? Not only is it always updated first, but I posted about an upcoming experiment... I'm getting set up to do live streaming from the workshop. I'm not entirely sure how successful it might be. Heck, it might even be a complete distraction. I thought it sounded like fun though. For now, I'll send out messages via my @craigbru twitter account when I stream. My plan is to be tested and tweaked in time for the beginning of this project. Stay tuned!

Despite the lack of 'real' work done on this project, I've still been collecting a steady stream of parts. One of the most anticipated of these parts arrived in a box from Aqua Computer in Germany. Inside was the electronic heart of OSIDIAS. These parts will be responsible for monitoring almost every electrical aspect of the case. From fan speeds, to temp monitoring, to lighting, and even powering up and down. Although I've got much detailed planning to do to make this all happen, I'm looking forward to the challenge.

So, what did I get? Here are all the parts laid out for inspection.

One of the most critical parts, is this Multiswitch. It is controlled via USB through the Aquasuite software. This will be the electrical switching station for anything having on/off requirements. The lighting would be a good example of this.

Next up is the new Aquacover for the DDC pump. All specs aside, it was just too damn good looking not to throw in the system.

Now we have the new flow sensor and inline temperature sensor. Both of these parts are very high flow, and low restriction.

And finally, we have a VFD Aquaero. This is really the brains of the operation. Everything starts here. All monitoring and control runs through here and the Aquasuite software via USB. The Aquaero will be linked to the secondary Via pico-itx system, and a touchscreen LCD. These components working together will allow seamless and automated system control and monitoring.

One last thing worth mentioning, is the Powerbooster modification made to the Aquaero. This addition is a special cooling block and a small hardware modification of the Aquaero which will allow you to use a Laing pump on fan channel 1. The other three channels will be able to handle 15W instead of 10W. This increases the available overall power to 45W. It's more than enough in my case.

Now, to go play with some hardware...