Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Planning Project: OSIDIAS (SFF taken to the extreme)

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Planning Project: OSIDIAS (SFF taken to the extreme)

Oooh, shiny. I like where this is going with the computer-controlled...computer.. lol Seriously though; this is looking pretty awesome.

Beautiful concept Craig! You are the SFF mack-daddy!!!
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Oooh, shiny. I like where this is going with the computer-controlled...computer.. lol Seriously though; this is looking pretty awesome.
    Thanks man! I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    Beautiful concept Craig! You are the SFF mack-daddy!!!
    The SFF mack-daddy, huh? Lol, that's a new one! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowHunter
    dude, stop trying to create Skynet. at this point, the scale goes - metric tons of awesome < epic < overkill < you

ATX Mental Case

Lookin good! when do you start building.......
    Whatever can light up, should light up brightly and in many different colors.

Quote Originally Posted by rithunder916 View Post
    Lookin good! when do you start building.......

Thanks! I'll be starting this as soon as I finish Project: Hutch. I think I said I would start it in a month or so, about 4 months ago... Lol, I really will start it soon though. I've got most of the parts, and now it just comes down to time.

dude, stop trying to create Skynet. at this point, the scale goes - metric tons of awesome < epic < overkill < you

Oh hell, did I really say this project was a month off... Um, nevermind to that...

There's a funny thing that happens when you are planning a project way longer than you had anticipated. Changes. Changes happen. Many changes actually. Although I've stood by the basic form factor I had first envisioned, things have been in a constantly evolving state. A tweak here, a tweak there, in the ongoing pursuit of perfection. Every last detail is being planned and thought out in advance. Just when I think I've got it nailed, another idea pops in to my head, and I'm revising again. Now, I can't keep this up forever, and I'll soon have to commit to a design plan, but until that happens I'm going to have a little fun.

So why the rambling intro? Well, I've got another idea. This one is slightly more costly, slightly more unique, and way more insane. In fact, this sort of thing wouldn't even have been very economically feasible even a year or two ago. What sort of thing am I referring to? UMPC's... Yes, why stop at 2 systems in a single machine, when you can have 3. Do I have your attention now?

Here's what I'm thinking... As OSIDIAS stands right now, I've already got a 7" touchscreen on the front. This screen was to act as the control interface for the pico-itx system, which in turn monitors and controls almost every aspect of the main system. If I replace that touchscreen with a UMPC linked via a wireless connection to the pico, I can retain the same functionality through software. The biggest advantage then, is the ability to remove the UMPC and control the system remotely. On top of that, I've got still got all the original functions of the UMPC itself. Overkill? Nah, there's no such thing! So, stay tuned for updates as the plan gets revised and implemented. Insanity has reached a new level...

I suppose you want to see the UMPC I plan on using, huh?

http://www.myviliv.com/eng/product/x70ex.asp

I would say I hate you, but I can confidently say that when I'm completed with my next project, nothing here will touch it for speed.

I mean we're playing in different time zones.

I wanna see how you do this. I could use a screen for my next big one, but the cash has to go to all the stuff it takes to get it running.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Hahaha, awesome idea. I can't wait to see how you incorporate it. Are you gonna mod the UMPC's case too?

I'm intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter

I love the idea. It'll effectively be all the systems that anyone needs in one SFF package; crazy performance, storage, mobility, and control. Any thoughts about interfacing it with your house for home entertainment served off of the base unit? Watching for the magic to begin

Quote Originally Posted by Kayin View Post
    I would say I hate you, but I can confidently say that when I'm completed with my next project, nothing here will touch it for speed.

I mean we're playing in different time zones.

I wanna see how you do this. I could use a screen for my next big one, but the cash has to go to all the stuff it takes to get it running.
    Lol, thanks Kayin. I tried for speed in my last build, and got stuck with a crap MSI board that wouldn't OC worth a damn. Sure, my CPU temp was sitting around -25C, but it was wasted energy with no OC. So, I decided to take a different route this time around. Maybe this one will even be easily upgradable for a change.

The details on how this will play out are still somewhat vague. It's going to come down to the best software for the job. I'll be getting the UMPC sometime in the next 2 weeks, but since I haven't started any construction yet, I've got some time to play.

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Hahaha, awesome idea. I can't wait to see how you incorporate it. Are you gonna mod the UMPC's case too?
    Thanks mate! Physically mounting it shouldn't be an issue, as I mentioned, all the tricky stuff will be in the software. As of now, I don't have plans to mod the UMPC case. I'll look it over once it arrives.