Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Planning Project: OSIDIAS (SFF taken to the extreme)

Default Re: Planning Project: OSIDIAS (SFF taken to the extreme)

Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    I'm intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter

I love the idea. It'll effectively be all the systems that anyone needs in one SFF package; crazy performance, storage, mobility, and control. Any thoughts about interfacing it with your house for home entertainment served off of the base unit? Watching for the magic to begin
    Lol, I think my wife would kill me if I took the time to write a newsletter...

I've got lots of thoughts about this being an entertainment hub. In fact, that's part of the functionality the UMPC will bring in to the mix. Since it is wireless, I can control the PC from anywhere. All I would need is simple PC wherever my TV is located, and stream to it.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowHunter
    dude, stop trying to create Skynet. at this point, the scale goes - metric tons of awesome < epic < overkill < you

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

EDIT:
    Sorry, my browser got confused and sent the same thing again.

No worries... I thought I was having deja vu for a moment there...

dude, stop trying to create Skynet. at this point, the scale goes - metric tons of awesome < epic < overkill < you

Well, I can understand your issues after being unable to OC...

I'm burning up my rig trying some of what I'm trying (Sketchup+multiboxing) so I'm going with this setup to try to finally build myself a true monster.

You, however, seriously have my interest piqued. So are you discarding your original touchpanel for that?
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Yes, I've convinced myself that a little OC is good enough... I'm running at 4Ghz on my i7 Anymore really isn't needed for what I do. If anything I need more memory yet...

Yes, the original touchscreen will be replaced by the UMPC in the same location. The Viliv happens to be the perfect fit. I'll find another mod to work the original touchscreen in to.

I really need to make an update here! The Viliv has arrived, and I'll be doing a video review of it shortly. In the meantime, I've been playing with other ideas. You see, with the addition of the UMPC for system monitoring, I needed a reliable way to relay information to it. I have been toying with bluetooth, but have a 2 device limit on networking them. So, wi-fi was the next obvious choice. That brought it's own set of issues. The pico must always be on and networked, the main system may not always be, and the Viliv must also always be networked. I also want to ensure the Viliv and pico always have internet access. Not that big of a deal, right? Well, Samurize needs static IP's for relaying information, and while that is great for home use, what about when I go to a LAN? The IP's are subject to change, and that would throw everything off.

So, what's the fix? How do I get static IP's? The easiest way is to use an access point, in this case, a wireless one. Everything is wireless capable anyway, so I can assign each adapter it's own IP, and they won't change regardless of where the system goes. That's where this comes in to play... It's the smallest AP available.

Okay, with that out of the way, I have 3 devices inside of OSIDIAS that need ethernet connections. The main system, the pico, and the access point. That leaves the need for a switch. This unit from Bytecc is the absolute smallest I could find. Everything must be internal!

Believe it or not, I've found room for both of those components inside the case without inhibiting airflow... When I get a chance I'll get some updated pics posted. Stay tuned!

I had a little time over the weekend, so I thought I'd make something special for everyone that has been following this project. This is a video walkthrough of OSIDIAS. It explains how some of the components fit together, and I cover some of the design basics. Although I've left out a few details, I think you'll understand the project a little better. Enjoy!

http://www.vimeo.com/8832516

Well, disturbed13 at bit-tech managed to pry an upcoming sponsor out of me...

So, since the surprise is out there, I might as well make the official announcement. I've been speaking with Ron Rogers of Romaxx CNC, and he's been generous enough to sponsor a HS-1 machine ready to run. I'll be using the machine on this project, as well as any future projects where applicable.

The HS-1 is a very solid tabletop CNC, and will be able to handle most any job I throw at it. I wanted to work with Romaxx for several different reasons. The first of which is the standards by which their machines are built. There's no doubt they are solid. The second is the support Romaxx offers after the sale. They stand by their machines, and are quick to take care of any issues should they arrive. Lastly, there is a pretty good community of users on the Romaxx forums that are willing to help and share their experience. All of these things added up to make it an easy decision for me.

I'll keep everyone updated on the machine's arrival, and I'll certainly post pics as soon as I can!

Wow.. I can't wait to see that baby in action!

I know all the planning is going to pay off in the end, but I want to see if now!
    Last edited by OvRiDe; 02-06-2010 at 03:48 PM.

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Damn thats nice. Congrats man!!!