Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What model dremel?

Default What model dremel?

Hi,

I'm new to modding and i need to buy a dremel rotary tool. I'm looking at Lowes and there are many different options and i was wondering fi anyone could give me some tips on what I need?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...02L&lpage=none

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio.../55&lpage=none

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...-03&lpage=none

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio.../40&lpage=none

And those are just the first couple of options. For the case im looking to mod, Its an old compaq case, pretty sure its aluminum, and I need to cut a window so... Could i get some shopping tips please?

Default Re: What model dremel?

The last one is very similar to my Craftsman. That's probably a good bet - multiple speeds (which are crucial), it's corded (trust me, you want a corded one unless you want to buy a couple of spare batteries), and it's fairly inexpensive. If all you want is a solid, inexpensive rotary tool, that's hard to beat.

One thing I can't overemphasize: buy reinforced cutting wheels. The basic ones wear down very quickly and have an unfortunate tendency to shatter. The reinforced ones don't shatter, so you don't have to worry about anything embedding itself in your glasses (you're gonna want safety glasses if you don't wear prescription ones) or the mask you'll want if you're going to be cutting for any length of time (though putting your shirt over your nose/mouth works, too, at the expense of comfort and dignity). Paper is fine for that - you're just trying not to breathe in fine particulates.

My only concern about the last link there is that it seems to only have two speeds - this is passable, but three or four is nice. 15,000's all you'll probably need for cutting (if you run the cutting wheels too fast, they get rather unhappy, and you don't want to run the unreinforced ones over 15, for sure); a higher speed would probably be useful for grinding and such if you're careful with it.

Hopefully someone can step in and comment as to whether the higher-end models are worth it - but in my mind, for light to moderate duty (occasional modding and such) a corded model similar to the last link is fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

The second link is the set I have and I love it. I can't comment on how it compares to others, as it's all I've used, but it's easily done everything I've ever asked it to do.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

well i looked up dremel because it seems to be the rotary tool most people ive asked tell me to buy. I dont mind shelling out 100 dollars but anything more is a bit out of my budget, for now at least. For things such as wired and wirelss, does it matter that much? Also the second one was the one i was most interested in. what kind of additions will i need to buy? thanks.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

I've never tried a cordless version but I'd say they would only be worthwhile for very specific hard-to-reach areas. As to what additions to buy, I'd say the quick-lock system is a good buy and as mentioned above, reinforced cutoff wheels. That kit comes with a lot of stuff.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Fresh Paint

Your 1st link is an oscillating saw kit. This saw cuts in a single plane and is for cutting in smaller spaces. This is not really what you want for modding.
    The second link is very similar to the kit I have and is probably what you want. You might also want to look at one of these http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...-01&lpage=none

Also try looking at other stores, sometimes you can find kits with different stuff in them for around the same price. (my set came with the flex shaft too and was $90ish)

good luck

The reason that having a corded Dremel (or other-brand rotary tool; mine's very similar but has more speeds and is Craftsman-branded) is important is that, as with most cordless power tools, battery life is never adequate to finish any serious job, so you have to buy at least one spare, and remember to keep them both charged, and...

It's just easier, if you'll be working anywhere near an outlet, to have a corded one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

I've got an older (10 years at least) Dremel brand model 395 (corded variable speed) with a flex shaft attachment. The whole time I've had it the only problem with it was replacing the brushes twice. I bought this one after my cordless one died one time too many and was intoduced to the wall. Seriously though for anything more intensive the working with jewelry the cordless models just don't cut it. As far as brand names as long as it's a major brand name not a no-name. Just my two cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

so it seems like the second one is the best option along with buying a flex shaft and reinforced cut off wheels. Is this what you meant with quick lock? http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...402&lpage=none

Quote Originally Posted by lastweek View Post
    Not only will it probably catch fire to your house, it will probably shoot peices out of your case and kill your cat. make sure you video tape your expierment.
    Quote Originally Posted by StormRider View Post
    Write your will before you turn it on