Thread: !@#all Must Read#@!

Default !@#all Must Read#@!

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION PROVIDED TO US BY AT&T. DON'T DIAL
    AREA CODE 809 - This one is being distributed all over the US . This is pretty scary,
    especially given the way they try to get you to call.

They get you to call by telling you that it is information about a family member who has been ill or to tell you someone has-been arrested, died, or to let you know yo u have won a wonderful prize, etc. In each case,you are told to call the 809 number right a way. Since there are so many new area codes these days, people unknowingly return these calls.

If you call from the US , you will apparently be charged $2425 per-minute. Or, you'll get a long recorded message. The point is, they will try to keep you on the phone as long as possible to increase the charges. Unfortunately, when you get your phone bill, you'll often be charged more than
    $24,100.00

WHY IT WORKS: The 809 area code is located in the Dominican Republic . They are not regulated by the US laws. The charges afterward can become a real nightmare. That's because you did actually make the call. If you complain, both your local phone company and your long distance carrier will not want to get involved and will most likely tell you that they are simply providing the billing for the foreign company. You'll end up dealing with a foreign company that argues they have done nothing wrong.

Please forward this entire mess age to your friends, family and
    colleagues to help them become aware of this scam

Sandi Van Handel
    AT&T Field Service Manager
    (920)687-904

Supposedly some guy called and was charged over 1 million USD
    It's like JFK announcing the moon mission. He had no expertise in space travel, and no way of knowing if it would work. He just announced "we're going to the moon" and then they made it happen because everyone was on the same page and working towards the same goal. If he had said "well, let's get some people in space, and we'll see how far out we can get, and if I find someone to make a rocket strong enough, we could possibly approach the moon's orbit and maybe land" it wouldn't have happened.

Default Re: !@#all Must Read#@!

There is some validity to this, but the price has been greatly exagerated.

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/809.asp

Still better safe then sorry in some cases.

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

Wow. That turns my stomach.

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Oh, if I only had a nickle for every time someone forwarded this to me...
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream