Thread: What linux distro you run and why

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Default What linux distro you run and why

I run Debian on my servers as it is super stable, reasonably lightweight and easy to manage.

For old PC's and my Media Center Ubuntu variants are the order of the day.

What do you run and why?
    Need a sig

Default Re: What linux distro you run and why

I have 3 distros running:

Main laptop: Linux Mint. It's better with newer drivers and updates management than Ubuntu itself.
    Main desktop: Ubuntu. I don't know why I'm still keeping it... But anyway, last upgrade (9.04) was better than others. Maybe I will migrate it to pure Debian or Mint... Don't know, after all, it works.

Others:
    aMule/P2P: Via Epia with Debian (And LXDE). Damn stable. Debian is probably the best distro, IMO
    EeePC: Debianeeepc (+LXDE). Lightweight, but powerful.
    Old laptop (maybe to be retired): Debian (+ XFCE). Run smooth and it is a PIII 500 with 192mb ram!

On my main laptop which I use for school and work I run Fedora, currently version 11 although I tend to upgrade to the most current release. It is stable, constantly improves itself, and is more reliable than windows.

On my spare outdated hardware I usually run Xubuntu, very lightweight and doesn't bog down older machines like Windows XP does. I have had more hardware support issues with Ubuntu based distros but still pretty stable and runs very light without me having to work at it.

I use linux in general because mainstream distros such as Fedora and Ubuntu are very easy to setup and use. I rarely need to chase down drivers and install disks like I do for the hardware and software that I use on my windows machines.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Ubuntu for desktop/laptop systems I use day-to-day, Debian for servers. I just started looking into Mint might Mint Linux to replace Ubuntu, but haven't made a decision yet.

I've only been using Ubuntu 8.10 for a few months but really liked it apart from a few small issues and it got me hooked on Linux, I then read about the latest Mint distro "Gloria" which a PC mag writer was raving about so I didn't bother with Ubuntu 9.04 and went straight to Mint 7.0 which I love and the more I use it the more I like it.

Now I understand a little bit more about Linux and the repositories I find it amazing that there are so many good apps available, I have also got a few programs running with Wine and with the help of a Linux forum got my Newsbin app working so I can use Usenet, I think many people would be happy with Mint or Ubuntu if they gave it a try or if it was on their first PC so they had no preconceptions about Linux, maybe people who have tried Linux on netbooks will try it on their PC's?

i dl'ed mint and as soon as I get a spare moment plan on hopefully setting up a dual boot with xp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER