Thread: First case mod

Fresh Paint

Default First case mod

Hey guys, im new here and need/want a new case. But it popped into my head
    why not save a couple bucks and make at a project. So im going to take my old case and mod it. I have this case: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...428&CatId=1842

It was a cheapo but i figured it would work, but im running pretty hot i have:
    xfx nforce 750a mobo
    phenom 9500
    gtx 260 maxcore
    4 gigs corsair 1066 memory
    500 gig seagate 7200 rpm
    and a ocz 600 W power supply

I was thinking of cutting out a squarish shape arount the vents on the side cover and then putting plexiglass where i cut it out, then cut out an opening at the top for a 120 mm fan. I was also thinking of raising the bottom and putting a 120 down there if i could get some advice on that.
    (i dont like side fans)

Currently i have a 120 mm exhaust and a 120 mm intake.

Does this sound doable for a first time mod? If i could get any tips on how to tackle this that would be great! thanks

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default Re: First case mod

First and best tip I ever had was an old old carpentry one - measure twice, cut once - when it comes to case modding, I prefer, buy a real cheap piece of sheet metal, measure twice, cut once for practice. Make sure you're happy with it before you take power tools to your case - THEN measure twice, cut once!

Another thing, which is common sense really, but it's an easy mistake to make - it's a LOT easier to make a hole bigger than it is to make it smaller, so be conservative when you're cutting, then file out to the right size - it'll be more accurate and a lot neater.

If you're putting a fan in the floor, make sure there's enough clearance between the base of the case and the floor/desk - if there isn't - the fan won't do much of anything - it's usually pretty easy to raise it up half an inch with new feet or something similar.

Try to visualise the airflow and hot spots - if possible, try to place the fans so they push and pull air straight over the hottest parts.

As for the side panel - beware that the whole point of that side vent is to allow your CPU cooler to pull air straight in from the outside of the case and onto the processor - if your CPU cooler is one of the more traditional ones made up of a metal heatsink block with a fan directly on top, blocking that side vent may push your temperatures up.

Do-able? EVERYTHING is do-able

Finally, very few people use all of the 5 1/4 inch bays in a case (yes I know some of us do lol) but you may well be able to do without the top one, which may mean you can get the top fan closer to the front of the case IF you want to, and simply drop your DVD down to the second bay.

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Fresh Paint

thanks for the advice , and cpu wise, im buying a liquid cooling unit for my cpu: the Domino A.L.C., its nothing fancy but it does the trick.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

I was about to yell "God no, don't buy one of those cheap self contained water-cooling kits - they pretty much all suck!!!" then I read a few reviews and this one really seems to buck that trend - one thing I will say though, it may well be worth looking into a way to make the little LCD on the Domino visible from outside the case - 1, it'll look pretty cool if done right and 2, it'll make it a lot easier to keep track of the thing's performance....
    You're right too, with that fitted, the side vent does become a lot more dispensible... Good luck with the build!

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Definately doable mods. Even for a first timer, but like someone mentioned, practice cutting techniques on scrap material.

As for your mods. I recommend you use the fan on the bottom as an intake and the top as an exhaust, heat rises and you want to get the hot air out of the case. For the bottom fan your best bet is to raise the case up on feet or create some kind of duct. My biggest concern with fans on the bottom is where you keep the case. If you keep it on the floor (especially carpet) more likely to get a lot of dust. Keep it on a desk and that wont really be as much of a problem.

Good luck.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy