Thread: Project: m477

Default Project: m477

Hey folks,
    After several months of admiring a lot of custom computer cases on the internet I finally made the decision to build my own. I will be using an Antec 300, that has served me well the past year. As I started just out of pure boredom I didn't really plan out a design. At first my intention was just to put in a window. So I grabbed a rotary tool at my local hardware store, a nice Dremel 400 XPR. I also got an extra pack of cutting discs; I knew I'd need them

So let me introduce you to my working place:

My protection gear, a pair of MotoX gloves and a ski goggle:

And my new Dremel:

So were ready to go
    The overall cutting of the window was done fast, no major problems.
    But filing the edges straight was a pain in the a**.

I had big problems getting the corners nice and round, but I used a little trick that came in handy, maybe it can help you with any of your builds:
    I was lucky enough to find a nice wooden pole exactly the diameter of the circle I used to making the round corners. Now simply wrap some sanding paper around it and fasten the whole thing, and you've made yourself a perfect tool for getting round edges.

Unluckily the masking tape came off while cutting the window and sparks damaged the Paint.
    From then on the idea was born to make this a real project and not just medicine against boredom. So the whole system was going to need a new paint job, more about that later.

I did a little quick and dirty hard-drive stealthing...

...and then went back to the chassis. I needed some holes for cable management, so I made some
    The cables are basically going to come from the PSU, go behind the motherboard tray and come back to the MB from behind the HDD bay (or their specific cut holes, duh ) The 12V 8-pin connector for the motherboard will just come through the cooler mounting hole.

A little close-up (well, not THAT close ), to show the build quality.
    I'm actually pretty satisfied, I did some minor scratches to the metal, but that will be treated later.

For better showing of the PSU inside that case I'll flip it upside down, so that you can read the sticker through the window. Due to cooling needs I cut a hole in the bottom. To not endanger the stability of the case I didn't just cut it all up, but left some of the material there.

After all cutting I could think of was done it was time for PAINTING
    I chopped the whole case up and dropped it off at a local sandblasting company. Should be done by Friday.

For the paint job I was thinking of something simple, just black 'n' white.
    I want to paint the interior gloss white, together with the front mesh and the back of the case and make the side, top and floor panels non gloss black.
    I don't know if I should mix the colors more or leave them separated.
    As an example the back of the case;

Mixed: main panel in white, I/O panel, pci slot covers and PSU black.
    Separated: everything mentioned above in white.

One option would make it look sleek and professional and the other would draw more attention to details and other stuff, make it "wilder".
    Any comments and tips are appreciated.

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

Default Re: Project: m477

looking good mate!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

Went to the sandblaster today, got my PC back.
    Looks decently done and I paid 30 dollars, thats a good price for saving me all that time. Can't do anything new know, going to my 4 hours chemistry class in a minute. I'm nt really shure how I should paint the case. I already bought the spray cans, but I was thinking of Brining the whole thing to an automotive paint shop or buying myself a beginners airbrushset.
    I'd really like to go with the airbrushset, but that would be an aditional 300$. But I could use it for other projects to, so that kind of covers the price.

I was looking at these two sets, maybe someone with airbrushing experience could give me some guidance, what brands to buy / not to buy, maybe put something together for me or something like that. Would be appreciated very much.

set1:http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/g44master.html
    set2:http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdep...T-4207T-MASTER

Advice on a good/cheap Spraygun would be great 2.

Can't do anything new on the mod till I have decided how to paint it, so nothing new for now. Pics of the sandblasted stuff later.

WWMD- What Would MacGyver Do? Mark_Hardware's Avatar

Off to a great start. I'll be keepin an eye on this one.
    Great idea with the rod as a sanding block
    My name is Mark Hardware, and I approved this message.

Project; Mark1
    (On hold until......)

@ little pics to show off the sandblasting results.

I'm sick atm, so no idea how the project will go on