Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast

Thread: Project - Air Cube v2

Anodized

Default Re: Project - Air Cube v2

Thats a great looking color and nicely applied
    Gonna be a kicker to see this thing fully assembled and fired up, good job !!!
    This front bezel looks better and cleaner than the previous one.

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Thanks for your comments again cellsite60, appreciated .

And here we go, last pictures on this case I believe, borrowed a slightly better camera for these, woo hoo .

On this one my new 5870 peeks over .

Was well worth re attempting the front .

Anodized

Looking good.
    Nice and clean

definitely nice... and i must say an improvement over the first one.... great job

the stages of a good build... plan plan plan - prototype - rebuild lol
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.

Thanks again cellsite60 .

LiTHiUM0XiD3, thanks, and the stages of a good build lol

blueonblack was absolutely right about the grills adding to noise though, must have added a good 5db on top of the plain holes to the case, Tried tollerating the noise difference for a couple of hours and didn't like it much , too used to it being nice & quiet, so I went & dug out my old zalman zm mfc1 + fan controller and hooked all the front panel & side fans to it & lowered the speed a little and it's now the same noise as it were with plain circles while keeping a good flow of air going through, was considering doing volt mods but figured it be easier and cleaner just to use a fan controller, it's hidden inside the case and can catch some air flow so it shouldn't overheat and fail. Side effect of this is temps have gone up by 3c but thats not bad.

The spiral type grills are more restrictive than the ones in the middle so I can run the middle ones a bit faster than the spiral ones and noise stays the same so it's worked out good .

Also fixed the top problem I had with it not sitting flush , I should probably replace the pictures.

I bought some 10mm spacers and rubber washers to put between the front panel & fans so I could put the fan controller back in the box of parts and it really helped cut the extra noise from the air restriction, so back to decent temps and normal noise .

Can't really call this a new project, more of a part 2 , I wanted a nice new unit for my consoles, pc & favourite games/dvds to be all in 1 space saving stack, had quite a few redesigns & settled for this one, seems my modding has overspilled into making furniture .

It's going to be a stand for the air cube on top, ps3 level below with great ventilation, a level below for my xbox 360, dvd storage below on the bottom 2 levels on both sides with a psu sat in the middle of level 2 for powering the xbox 360 & fans with room for control pads inbetween the dvds.

I'm also working on a new top & rear panel for the xbox 360 to accommodate for better cooling replacing the gpu heatsink for a 360 cpu heatsink & placing bga coolers on all chips with 120mm fan intake & exhaust & dvd drive relocation .

This aluminium was for redoing the corners & bottom sides & back panel.

When doing my design over & over I figured I dont have to re do the corners & bottom sides but I still have good use for the sheet to reorientate the back panel a little, so the angle bars in this picture are not needed for the build, had a slight redesign after I made the order.
    Here is the right side panel botch shots, they will be covered by the chunky angle bars that hold the air cube in place, this mod has spawned from the botched corners & price of delivery not being worth just doing the air cube.

This is the aluminium for the new build, I beleive if the frame is good & strong then there is no true need for expensive thick sheet, especially for what I'm making.

I was sat on this aluminium for over a week which is a 1st, I usually can't wait but I wanted to do this properly, I needed a tool for doing clean bar cuts at 45 degrees & 90 degrees.
    Missed out on a bargain for a really good cut off saw at £100 it was worth £300 but because of very low money I had to get a much cheaper alternative, a manual cheapish £30 mitre saw, the build would have gone tragically wrong if I didn't .

Should have been 1 of the 1st tools I added to my collection when working with aluminium bars, it's proven to be a very awesome tool for this build .

Finally the work begins woo hoo .

Friday
    Got the angle bars for all levels cut to size, all 45 degree cuts.

Saturday
    Got loads more cut to size, not much more to do other than a few more bars (but the thicker ones) & 6 thin sheets.

This is 1 of the basic levels

Got all bars cut to size today except for the main corner angle bars, want to get everything correct before I do them, so I'm just working on making the levels 1st.

Did a loose fit of all the levels & they are great, the bottom panel will be ultra strong, it looked pretty reasonable in google sketchup but in reality it does look a bit overkill, nonetheless it will be very strong indeed lol .

More updates soon

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
    nonetheless it will be very strong indeed lol .
    Ummmmm... wow. I think you could use that as a base for a transmission dolly. Nice.

+ rep for the overki... uh, functionality.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”