Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Project - Air Cube v2

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Default Re: Project - Air Cube v2

Bummer , got to put it on hold for at least a week until I can buy an extra square and some clamps, I was attaching the mid panel angle bar but needed a 3rd square and clamps to hold it all in place while I mark it up for drilling, could have carried on but it may have turned out a little wonky, so I'll just put it aside for a week, oh well .

Let me know how you all think it is coming along for the time being.

Ahh was able to make an order yesterday for some clamps, squares and a couple of smaller steel rulers, I only had a 1 metre ruler and was arkward to use in some areas so should hopefully be able to carry on with it today once I receive them .

Nice, got the bits I needed to make it good form, yay .

Didn't get much time on it today but it progressed a little.
    Took all the corner bars off and layed them flat so I could make the mid angle bar spot on with 4 squares and a flat piece to line it up on so I could mark them accurately.
    Got both front and back mid angle bars done and 1 flat bar half done, the reason for the 20mm gap is for if I choose to put in a window it will have no obstruction and should come in useful for hiding wires also, the front and rear angle bars have 2mm gaps either side to hold the slide panel in place nice and firm, it is also still very light but I'm only half way through making the frame.

I'm hoping to have the frame finished tomorrow.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Looking good, the frame should be rock solid when it's done, and give you plenty of room to work. +rep
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Thanks blue it will be very solid when I replace the bolts with rivets, it is already but rivets are easier to remove than a socketless screw.

Frame done and is nice and square, just needs cleaning up and replace all the screws & nuts with countersunk rivets which I do not have yet, the screws I used 3 of them lost the socket and went round, was a nightmare getting them out, this is why I am going to use rivets for the entire frame would be easier drilling rivets out than the struggle I had getting the srews out, anyway now I can work on the panels I'm going to take my time for a good design still not designed the shell, definately happy with the frame thou.

On with the pics

Made a little more progress today
    Got the side panels to fit so they can slide to the bottom they just need to be cut to size at the top and bent over.

Cut a sheet for the motherboard tray and aligned an old motherboard tray over it, aligned it how I wanted it and taped it together and pressed my perm marker through the holes and pci slits and it was ready for drilling, tapping and cutting.

From the front

A bit closer front shot

From the back

Closer back shot

Sliding slot for side panels

Done the mounting holes and started on the pci slits

Almost done, just needs filing and tapping.

Needs filing with precision files

Slight error in design to form, I made the little corner angle pieces smaller in my sketchup and left the angle pieces same dimensions as the main corner bars so the little bars stick out a bit, so I cut the bottom corners out of the panels, this shot is in close up and does not look bad unless you get very close to it.

I just got the idea whilst writing this to file the little angle pieces to be flush with the main angle pieces, But would have to order 2 new sheets of aluminium to fix this, Doh!, so I will have to put up with this for now and may as well do a no thrills design for it and when I get the 2 pieces and have filed down the angle pieces, then do a nice design on it.

What would you guys do, would you settle for this result or would you get 2 more sheets?

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

very very cool i like it
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

TY DonT-FeaR

Tried using my cheap tapping kit, there was no size right for the standoffs, then tried drilling a hole slightly smaller than the standoffs and put the standoff in driver and let it make the thread, it worked for some and did not work for most others, then tried a bolt that had similar thread same problem, then tried some rivet nuts, the rivet nuts would have been ok but the thread did not start soon enough for the short thread on the standoffs so was in a pickle for a while until my dad mentioned about some square nuts he had, they worked a treat .

WooHoo got them to mount with some square nuts on the other side.

Also got the front and back panels cut and filed to size and put a guide for where I can drill holes for mounting

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Your workmanship continues to impress. As for what would I do on the other problem, it would depend. If I had the time and money I would order the extra sheets now, if not I would just be sure to keep in mind that I would be correcting it later and plan (and build) accordingly.

If you mentioned it earlier in the thread I missed it, so forgive me, but where did you get the motherboard tray?
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

haha sweet
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!