Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IBM Model M Keyboard

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Default IBM Model M Keyboard

Hi all I am typiny this post on my new keyboard and IBM model M. This is one awesome keyboard if you dont know what I am talking about go and read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_M. I found it at work when they where having a clean out. It is the best feeling keyboard I have ever typed on. Every key has it's own spring underneath each key. So each key press is really satisfying. The only problem is it makes a lot of noise. It looks a bit dagy so I am thinking of pulling it apart and spray painting it silver or black or something.

Need a sig

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

Default Re: IBM Model M Keyboard

Mmmm an original. Your a lucky person.

$70?
    http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net//cus101usenon.html

-CollinstheClown

I've got one of the KB-8923's. They use the cheaper rubber-dome type, instead of the spring, but even then is still miles better than most keyboards I've used today.

Awesome find.

I had one years ago with one the original computers it shipped with, but I threw it out because it was old. Way before I could appreciate a good keyboard.

Edit: After some browsing around found a company that makes new models of these keyboards. Some identical to the originals some with upgrades like an integrated mouse. http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net//index.html
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

I almost did that as well. I got it, I have no clue where. It sat in a box and I had to use it for some rig that didn't like the USB keyboard, and OMG was it amazing.

And yet I still don't use it often. I only have a spot for one keyboard on my desk, and hmmm. Maybe I will swap the eclipse for that one, as the eclipse needs a good washing.

ARGHHHH. Just went over and handled the IBM and now the eclipse feels like arse. I got to swap lmfao.

EDIT: Went and did a restart and swapped the eclipse for the IBM. God is this one much more comfortable. I can't believe I let it sit in the pile because it didn't look as good. I really wish I had one of the M's though, but even this is a vast improvement. I will have to get used to the spacebar on this one, as it is a bit more narror and not quite as high, but overall a welcome improvement.

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chaksq View Post
    Edit: After some browsing around found a company that makes new models of these keyboards. Some identical to the originals some with upgrades like an integrated mouse. http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net//index.html
    I hear an echo...

-CollinstheClown

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

I had the original and love hearing myself type. Reminds me of when I was first learning on typewriters
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

A year or two ago I picked up a few AMD motherboard/cpu combos and the dude just threw them in. He said they were in a box at some local auction and came with the deal. Two of them were still in boxes (destroyed boxes, but boxes nonetheless) and one was yellowed. I gave them away about 6 months later in a junk bin sale.

Ouch. I didn't know they were wanted.

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

I even like my sh*tty HP Pavilion keyboard (ca. 1999 or 2000) over the G15 that Indybird let me use a few weeks ago. The only thing I like about that is some of the extra features, but I hate the keys on it.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

I'm enjoying my G15v1 and I'm thinking of later getting a G15v2 ;P
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!