Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alien Autopsy: The Death of an Alienware Powersupply

Fresh Paint

Default Re: Alien Autopsy: The Death of an Alienware Powersupply

Have you tried checking it for dry joints. As these power supplies are known for running hot, one might have been created over its lifetime. Try checking around the out put fet's

Anodized

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    I would check your output line for shorts or breaks that's what was wrong with my dell power brick and there was a slightly audible beeping when it would short.
    I plugged it back in after I was done my autopsy just to be sure some "magic" hasn't happened, as I've had before, and there were no more extra smells or sounds. But, I'll give it a try and have a look.

I did accidentily try to put my power plug in my laptop um, upside down once (I think) and I heard a good size "snap"! Oops, not the correct alignment. 9 Amps can make a good arc. Hmmm, I'm gonna see if I can find some arcing photos I took (on purpose) and I'll post the tips of my swiss army knife and multi-meter probes.

Anodized

Quote Originally Posted by smray View Post
    Have you tried checking it for dry joints. As these power supplies are known for running hot, one might have been created over its lifetime. Try checking around the out put fet's
    What do you mean, "dry" joints? Pads where the solder has sublimated? (Unlikely)

Anodized

As promised, here are some photos. For the full description (and size) please see my Flickr page.

A disposable camera flash unit, the main capacitor being shorted. Note: 1.5 VDC AA battery.

A slightly cooler pic of the same thing - in a dark room.

What 120 VAC can do to your swiss army knife can opener. (Don't ask.)

What a run-away power supply (20+ VDC @ 1 amp) can do to your multi-meter probes.

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod997 View Post
    What do you mean, "dry" joints? Pads where the solder has sublimated? (Unlikely)
    No, what I'm talking about is the possibility that the power supply came from the factory with some badly soldered joints that over time, as the power supply was repeatedly heated up and cooled down that the flux that was used caused the joint to weaken and then eventually crack/break.

Anodized

Quote Originally Posted by smray View Post
    No, what I'm talking about is the possibility that the power supply came from the factory with some badly soldered joints that over time, as the power supply was repeatedly heated up and cooled down that the flux that was used caused the joint to weaken and then eventually crack/break.
    Ohhhh, ya, ok I get it. I don't recall seeing any lifted pads or disconnected components. The construction looked pretty solid, if not a bit undercooled.