Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clients virus ridden pc

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

Default Clients virus ridden pc

I shouldn't say client but I feel it gets the point across better.

He should be a client but because I know his situation I'm doing the work free. He said he doesn't "need" anything backed up but if I could it'd be cool. Obviously I want to at least give it a good attempt at getting data off.

Problem. The machine is so FUBAR'd it freezes almost as soon as it starts up and shows a million errors/infection warnings. I see Limewire on the desktop which = I'm not willing to plug the drive into a personal rig to rip data off because I don't know what kind of STD's this whore has.

The obvious choice would be to use a PI disk of any sort... Ubuntu's nice. Problem is, how do I back up data when I need the live disk to stay in the only cd drive?

I'm not plugging my externals into the computer because I don't want to compromise my own disks and I don't have thumb drives big enough to make transfers worth it.

Default Re: Clients virus ridden pc

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzKillington View Post
    The obvious choice would be to use a PI disk of any sort... Ubuntu's nice. Problem is, how do I back up data when I need the live disk to stay in the only cd drive?
    USB thumbdrive?

Quote Originally Posted by aintnothang View Post
    Think of a way to simulate a real bullet hole, like shooting it.

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

I'd plug the HDD into a good computer and just not boot off of the ad one or open any files that are in it.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by xmastree View Post
    USB thumbdrive?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzKillington View Post
    I don't have thumb drives big enough to make transfers worth it.
    Please read the TOS regarding links in signatures. We don't take kindly to that sort of thing. -The Mods

Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I'd plug the HDD into a good computer and just not boot off of the ad one or open any files that are in it.
    Aren't there viruses out there that can leech onto other drives even without running the files they're injected in?

I know viruses by their self are "safe" until you execute them but can't they be set up to run with other programs at startup, regardless if you boot from that drive?

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

WHat about a site that offers free storage like carbonite? or maybe sign up with one of those free hosting company's and just ftp the files to the server and then dl them when the computer is clean?

WWMD- What Would MacGyver Do? Mark_Hardware's Avatar

why not just hook up a second disc drive? Use one to boot Ubuntu from, and the other to burn the data to disc.
    My name is Mark Hardware, and I approved this message.

Project; Mark1
    (On hold until......)

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

Do you have a spare CD burner or another CD drive if the drive he has is a burner and hook up the extra as the primary CD to run a live CD then burn to CDRW?

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

Quote Originally Posted by Oneslowz28 View Post
    WHat about a site that offers free storage like carbonite? or maybe sign up with one of those free hosting company's and just ftp the files to the server and then dl them when the computer is clean?
    Good idea there. If you want a free host.. check out 000webhost.com Free hosting domain.. the whole thing. I use them.

I don't. I sold/gave away 99% of my parts bin. I had a spare external I forgot about and used it. it's half way through its second swipe. I'm going to walmart tonight for a can of air to blow the case out. It being a dell I doubt there's much room for wire management. Last dell I opened most of the cables barely reached.

EDIT: Almost forgot, online hosting would have been out of the question because of the 6600 music files.