Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disc read error.

Default Disc read error.

When I boot up I keep getting disc read errors.
    Any help?

I'm on my itouch...
    Please read the TOS regarding links in signatures. We don't take kindly to that sort of thing. -The Mods

Default Re: Disc read error.

Now it says BOOTMGR is missing...
    Please read the TOS regarding links in signatures. We don't take kindly to that sort of thing. -The Mods

I tried doing a repair Start up, but it failed...

Does this mean the hdd is bad?

Do you have a recovery disc? I am not sure if you tried it, but if you havn't try booting from it since your system seems to be malfunctioning.

No, just the windows vista dvd. I'm upset.

Where the hell is the "any" key? HackSore's Avatar

Sounds like a dodgy hard drive to me.
    If you have another machine, you could put the drive in as a slave and see if you can copy anything important off it, then try formatting it and reinstalling windows, as it could be the boot sector has become corrupted.
    Though with the disk read error it would sound like it was the fault of the HDD that caused the corruption.

Could be a broken hard drive, drive controller or just a messed up disk from a dodgy shutdown.

First thing I would do is download the HDD testing tool specific for your disk from the manufacturers site or use the Utimate Boot CD.

Assuming that tells you the disk has no faults other than the MBR you can use fixMBR to .... well, fix the MBR and replace the boot manager.

You might want to piggyback the drive as a slave and back up anything you need (or boot off a linux distro and save to USB/CDR)

CB

I tried using g parted to format ntfs, but it failed.=(

Grabbing Utimate Boot CD .iso now.