Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Raptor gets what - Windows Experience?

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default Raptor gets what - Windows Experience?

In Vista, do all WD Raptor drives get a 5.9 just because they're 10K RPM? Just wondering if it's worth buying a higher capacity drive to get the bigger cache or can I get a 74GB one for the same performance?
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Default Re: Raptor get's what - Windows Experience?

I can compare a 300GB VelociRaptor, 1TB Caviar Black, and 250GB Caviar Raid Edition with Windows 7 RC on Friday.

I'm using the 250GB right now and it gets a 5.5 in Windows 7. The other two I can check on Friday (well, maybe tomorrow night, we'll see). The 1TB drive just came today, I love FedEx they always deliver a day early .
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

hell my hard drive is a std 400GB WD and it gets a 5.8 in W7

I get 5.9 with a WD 500GB drive.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

I'll have a 74GB primary and a 1TB secondary in R2-M5, so hopefully I'll max it out
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Ok, the 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black gets a 5.9. Takes about 12 minutes to install Windows 7 on it. As a side note, it is a very quiet drive, I can't hear it over my Noctua case fans.

The 300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor gets a 5.9. Looks like something else in the system is limiting the rating on it. May be my ICH (ICH9) is the bottleneck as-far-as Windows 7 is concerned. It's still faster than the 1TB Caviar Black (took less than 3 minutes to do the file copying for the Windows 7 installation). You can hear it seek when reading an writing, unlike the Caviar Black.
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

Quote Originally Posted by mtekk View Post
    The 300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor gets a 5.9. Looks like something else in the system is limiting the rating on it. May be my ICH (ICH9) is the bottleneck as-far-as Windows 7 is concerned. ...

Have they upped the upper limits for Windows experience in Win 7?

If not you will not get a higher score than 5.9 on anything. When Micro$oft Tech-Heads put together the experience scale it was limited from 1 - 5.9 by design. The idea was/is that the upper limit will be raised as hardware performance increases with new generation hardware. Existing hardware would still score the same.

However, if they have not implemented an increase in the upper limit for Win 7 RC1 then 5.9 will be the most you ever get. ..... The bottleneck is that 5.9 is the maximum score.

CB

7.9 is the claimed limit in Windows 7. My memory and Hard Drive are stuck at 5.9, the CPU is at 6.6 and the Graphics is at 6.3.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

they rate from 1.0 to 7.9 now

Quote Originally Posted by mtekk View Post
    7.9 is the claimed limit in Windows 7. My memory and Hard Drive are stuck at 5.9, the CPU is at 6.6 and the Graphics is at 6.3.
    That makes sense. There has been a greater growth in power of CPU's and GPU's over the last two years than improvements in memory and HDD technology.

Perhaps it is still limited to 5.9 for those components .. unless anyone, anywhere ... got 6 or higher for their HDD or RAM ?