Thread: Any alternatives to Modder's Mesh?

Default Any alternatives to Modder's Mesh?

So I wanted to buy some Modder's Mesh from mnpctech, but it costs as much to ship it to me as the mesh, so I was wondering if anyone knows of any other store, or hardware stores that sell something similar. I wanted the honeycomb version but if there is something that is similar and cheap I would take that.

Also don't tell me Dragonmodz because that has even worse shipping charges. (for me) BTW I live in CA.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: Any alternatives to Modder's Mesh?

Well if you go to a store and ask for modders mesh, they don't know what you're talking about. Likewise, if you ask for mesh, they'll probably give you door screening material or chicken wire. So instead, try looking around for "perforated metal", thats basically modders mesh and it comes in all shapes and sizes I believe.

You could always try Amazon too.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&tag=...Mozilla-search
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I got an aluminum mesh oil splatter guard much like this one for $1 at dollar tree. I picked up 3 of them for my next mod. It isn't hex, but a very fine aluminum mesh. I think it will work great for what I need. 3$ for like 5 sq.ft. of mesh is great imo.

If you can't find the modder's type mesh that you are looking for, look for something normal that you can mod. Oil guards, aluminum mesh trash bins, gutter guard (used that on the first iteration of Project: Nightrain with pretty decent success) can all be found at regular stores. Just keep your eyes peeled for something that can be used differently than you would expect.

Thanks for the help both of you!

and Nightrain, I have to admit I only read the first paragraph of your post the first time. I guess I got distracted by the link. I just looked at your Project: Nightrain mod and it looks like I got the same stuff as you! Anyway I think it will work great.
    So I found this at Home Depot:

Thanks again!

WWMD- What Would MacGyver Do? Mark_Hardware's Avatar

Hey somebody somewhere actually used a wire mesh wastebasket. That looked pretty nice really
    My name is Mark Hardware, and I approved this message.

Project; Mark1
    (On hold until......)

No problem. It isn't the best stuff, but it is cheap and easy to work with. Definitely worth the money for a mod that can't afford the uber expensive modder's mesh. It doesn't seem expensive when you just look at individual items when putting together a mod with branded stuff, but when you look at the collection of receipts it can be quite frightening. Ughhh... lol.

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

At HD and Lowes its called Gutter Guard

Today is a good day to compute. The Black Pumpkin's Avatar

I once used the mesh backing for car air filters. Just go by any car place and ask for some used air filters. If they're aren't idiots, they'll realize that it would save them trash pickup money (just a bit, but hey) and they'll give some to you.
    Bigtop "The Magnificent"-Foxconn A79A-S, Phenom 9600 BlkEd, 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2-1066, Sapphire 4870 1GB
    Newtop "The Rather Nice"-MSI MS-1029, Turion 64 MT-37, 2x1GB Crucial DDR-333, Radeon x700 128MB

Air filters are a good bet. The homemade finger guard over the 2x120mm fans on my GeminII is made from the mesh of a screen-door guard, not unlike this photo:

I just keep an eye out when I don't need it so that I have it when I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

I happened to find a damaged wire mesh CD holder at Staples. Undamaged price was $8 or thereabouts. I picked it up for 50 cents.

Might also want to check the thrift stores. They are alot like Ebay--they never run out of anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream