Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Note to self: Buy a Newer Raptor

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default Note to self: Buy a Newer Raptor

I bought one of the older 74GB Raptors and it seems fine, but there are annoyances.

1. It's awefully loud. I know how a bad/dying hard drive sounds and this ain't like that. It's loud when "thinking". Especially when I'm installing something or running updates. Maybe newer Raptors are quiter?

2. In Vista I only get a score of 5.6 for it. I just thought that 10K rpm drives would all be the same, but my buddy's 150GB raptor gets a 5.9. My hard drive is the only thing less than 5.9

3. It's filling up awefully fast. I just set it up this morning and it's already half full. I had had my photos and music (19GB total) on there too, but since added a secondary 1TB drive to hold those. I made "Program Files" folders for x86 and x64 for my larger programs to run off my 1TB drive. I'll use the raptor for just Windows and Anti-Virus.
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: Note to self: Buy a Newer Raptor

Well its loud because its spinning at 15k. Hell, I think my 5400rpm drive is loud, that thing is spinning more than twice as fast, it must be annoying! Maybe look into sound proofing?
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

I think I'll get one of those 2.5" 150GB ones that are in a 3.5" icepack
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    Well its loud because its spinning at 15k. Hell, I think my 5400rpm drive is loud, that thing is spinning more than twice as fast, it must be annoying! Maybe look into sound proofing?
    It's 10K not 15K (some SCSI drives are 15K)

I really wouldn't put data on a raptor (well I wouldn't rip CDs and DVDs to it or save recorded TV to it), it'd only see the OS and software installed on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

The best thing to do with raptors is put your OS and games on it then but your media on a big slow 1tb drive.
    Need a sig

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by simon275 View Post
    a big slow 1tb drive.
    The 1TB drives (if you don't buy the "green" one) are actually quite fast.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    The 1TB drives (if you don't buy the "green" one) are actually quite fast.
    To be honest, my 1.5TB WD Green drives are some of the fastest I've ever used. Probably a lot to do with the 32MB cache and 500GB per platter, but still. But, yeah, I totally agree; nothing other than the OS and installed programs should be on the Raptor.

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    To be honest, my 1.5TB WD Green drives are some of the fastest I've ever used. Probably a lot to do with the 32MB cache and 500GB per platter, but still. But, yeah, I totally agree; nothing other than the OS and installed programs should be on the Raptor.
    Yeah, and the density. The Black ones spin much faster, though (7200 RPM vs. something around 5600 RPM).
    Help my mini city
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    Yeah, and the density. The Black ones spin much faster, though (7200 RPM vs. something around 5600 RPM).
    Actually, the Green drives have a variable spin rate, depending on use. While the drive is being used, it spins up to 7200, but when it's not in constant use, it spins down to a minimum of, I think 5400. So as long as you keep them under constant use there's no slow down

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Actually, the Green drives have a variable spin rate, depending on use. While the drive is being used, it spins up to 7200, but when it's not in constant use, it spins down to a minimum of, I think 5400. So as long as you keep them under constant use there's no slow down
    Nope, not variable; the RPM is BETWEEN 5400 RPM and 7200 RPM, but it's nt variable. They had me fooled, too, until I read that.
    Help my mini city