Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Clockwork vII

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default Re: Project Clockwork vII

Well, I'm in for it now. I found this water block for $35 and I couldn't pass it up.

Isn't it pretty??

Unfortunately, I'm at the point in the design that I have to have all my components on hand to plan the placement of everything, so this will really slow down my progress until I get my radiator(s) and pump.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Default Cool it!

Well, that didn't slow me down all that long, did it? My impulse control is sadly considerably lower than my credit limit. Bad for me, good for this build.

Parts!!!

The basics of what I hope to be an excellent loop. With the components I have and no plans to overclock a single dual-pass 120 radiator should be plenty. I'll be researching tubing tomorrow, since of course regular tubing of any sort just won't work. I've got something in mind but it will require some very specific parts that may or may not exist. Hopefully I'll know tomorrow, but at least I've got what I need to finish planning the layout now. Woo hoo!!!!!
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

OK, it's time to get this thing done. I only have one functional motherboard and video card at the moment, so every time I want to work on it I have to move the motherboard from my main system to this case for reference, as I'm down to that stage of the build. That plain sucks, so I've ordered a new board, exactly like the one I use, so it can stay in the shop inside this case. It has on-board video so I can move the video card from my system to this case also. That should speed things up considerably, and when I'm done I'll have an extra micro ATX board that will work beautifully for a HTPC.

I've also found another motivation. I bought Bioshock 2 two hours after its release. I've been waiting to play this game since the original. I've decided that I will not play it until I can play it on Clockwork. This is a first for me, the game is in my closet and not installed. Maybe this will help me get this thing done. Cross your fingers.

On progress, I am happy to report that I have solved at least half of the tubing issue and it will be absolutely beautiful. More news on that as it happens.
    Last edited by blueonblack; 02-23-2010 at 11:49 PM.

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Hehe, good idea for motivation , the game is awesome blue. I've seen quite a few knocking it on forums but I guess they don't know what a great game is .

Default Bubbles!!

Update time. I've been pretty busy lately and haven't had time to work on this like I should, but I managed to get a major visual feature done tonight.

I've wanted some bubbling tubes in this thing since the beginning. I finally got them. I started with a bubble light normally used for a Christmas decoration.

After some careful Dremel and razor work, we get the useful part:

The copper elbows I'm using were almost big enough. The difference was actually less than the thickness of the copper walls. I managed to drill out the straight portions by 1/64" to get the tube to fit. That was a joy.

Here they are mounted. They look cool just like this.

Small automotive 12-volt light bulbs are inserted into the bottom of the copper elbow from the rear of the panel.

haha those are freakin sweet man! we used to have those bubbly lights on our christmas tree back in the dizzay. I think my rents still have them. +rep for ingenuity and the nostalgia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Default A question of fans

Thanks, I have to say I am really happy with the way they turned out.

I forgot one other thing I got done. After much thought I decided on the Aerocool Extreme Turbine fan for the rear exhaust/radiator fan, for aesthetic reasons:

I love the way it looks, the blades and the cone give it the industrial look I wanted, and it is dead silent, but it doesn't move hardly any air at all.

I had a Thermaltake turbo fan on hand, which turns much faster and moves plenty of air, but doesn't look as good. So I took the blade assembly off of each of them. The shaft diameter is the same, but the motor on the Thermtake fan is considerably smaller. Just to try it, I mounted the turbine blade on the turbo fan housing and even though the motor is a good 3/16" further from the magnets on the blade it turns it much faster and moves a lot more air. Looks better too:

Do any electricians know if I'm looking for trouble with the motor/magnet gap being so high? I don't see how myself, but I know motors can be picky about their load, especially cheap little DC motors like these.
    Last edited by blueonblack; 04-13-2010 at 03:07 AM.

Do those fans spin in opposite directions? If they do then you could stack them for more airflow. Additionally it creates a weird visual effect when looking at it strait on.

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Nice progress Blue, it looking really good, I love this mod .
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08